Cannot push portable charger into the car charge port! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Savo1, Nov 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Savo1

Savo1 New Member

Sorry if I'm being really stupid here, but I have an issue I cannot fix...

I normally charge my 64kw Kona (early 2021 model, 7,000 miles) in using the 3 pin portable charger at home (we're moving soon, hence no 7kw wall unit) and was doing so last night when the app told me charging completed successfully...

My wife went out in the car this morning and saw that it had not fully charged last night and was only at 81% - and now neither of us can physically push the charger into the car...

I've tried the other cable (the one to use at public charging points) and that will go in (I plan to go out to charge later tonight), but that doesn't solve the issue with the portable...

I cannot see any obstruction in either part so what can it be?!?!?

Thanks in advance!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Savo1

Savo1 New Member

Update - I used a GeniePoint charger just now, which worked perfectly well, so I assume it must be a problem with the portable charger for some strange reason!!

4. Without a location no one can tell what sort of plug you use but for both J1772 and Type 2 one of the white plastic caps could have come off the car's socket and lodged into the plug.

5. Just here, they're white on the Kona

upload_2021-11-30_13-14-51.png

6. KiwiME or someone, can you please explain how those work. How is the required contact made when you use a DC fast charger? TIA

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, all connections on a CCS Type 1 or Type 2 are of the "pin and sleeve" type, much as you'd see on a 16 or 32A caravan or welding 230VAC plug. The DC is of course conducted over the two large pins which have added plastic nubs over the tips. The sleeve (on the EVSE side) is made up of spring-loaded flexible segments while the pin is solid. Of the two halves one or both are floating, meaning held slightly loose in the plug so that they align axially naturally when connected and the full cylindrical electrical surface contact is obtained.

The plastic nubs on the tips of two DC contacts are almost certainly required by the relevant EN and/or SAE standard so that the socket (on the car) is "intrinsically safe" at the rated voltage against finger access, meaning without relying on external safety circuits, 'external' meaning in the car. It's possible that they also assist with insertion to open the sleeve segments against a material that won't wear silver plating off. Once the sleeve opens and travels past the plastic nub it will contact the pin.

Hope that answers the question without getting too complicated.

upload_2021-11-30_23-27-46.png

Sleeves, noting the springy contacts are inside.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2021-11-30_23-48-3.png

OzKona likes this.
  9. Thanks KiwiME, I get it now.

KiwiME likes this.