Canada prices released

Discussion in 'EX30' started by electriceddy, Oct 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Hmmm, doesn't sound very cheap to me...

electriceddy likes this.
  3. Comparing prices to the U.S. release, the single motor version is way more expensive (by thousands) when converting USD to Cdn, however the twin motor version is cheaper than the U.S version.:confused:
    My guess is Volvo expects Canadians will prefer the AWD due to our climate, so they don't expect sales for the single motor variation to be a huge seller here and priced it accordingly.

4. Not sure how you get that. Remember, our CAD is .73 of the USD right now. That makes the twin motor versions also more expensive here in Canada.

5. USA Twin Motor Plus - $44,900 * 1.37 = $61,513... $59.900 Canada
    USA Twin Motor Ultra - $46,600* 1.37 = $63,842... $62,100 Canada
    1 US Dollar =
    1.37 Canadian Dollar

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Yup, you're right. I somehow had it turned around in my head...:oops: Still not cheap. Close to Ioniq 5 pricing. I would expect the 2024 Kona EV to come in below that.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Kona EV is a slow-poke. You'd have to buy a much more expensive Ioniq 5 N to match the 4WD EX30's acceleration. And look, the EX30 gives customers a rear wiper without having to pay the high price of an Ioniq 5 N!

9. Why do you need so much acceleration power? My old Kona EV had plenty. My Ioniq 6 does 0-60 in 4.3 secs, and I have tested it. But that is ridiculous. I would put more value into many other features, like comfort, interior, ride, and how quiet the car is at highway speeds. I am not saying that the EX30 won't have good features, but more power is one that I would not be looking for in an EV when making a buying decision.

Godfrey likes this.
  10. insightman

I totally agree with you. Car and Driver says my pokey little MINI EV takes 6.2 seconds to finally arrive at 60 mph, yet it's the quickest car I've ever driven. I care more about cornerning than acceleration (my slogan is "Bounds about roundabouts, quietly acting out"). However, for those who put acceleration at the top of their must-have list, Volvo is making it available for an amazingly low price--way lower than Hyundai or any other car-maker I know offers.

R P likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. I registered for information about the EX30 and have received many information texts and emails. I discovered today that the only information I didn't receive was that the Canadian reservations had finally opened. :( Then I discovered that the interior I wanted isn't available in the trim that I wanted. Add the fairly high prices and, for me, that's 3 strikes that have definitely cooled my enthusiasm.

electriceddy likes this.
  13. When it was first announced, it sounded great. But the more I learned about it, would not have made my list if I was looking for a car. I think the 2024 Kona EV will turn out to be a better deal.

electriceddy and Wildeyed like this.
  14. I agree. The Volvo is not a great leap forward by any means and the price contradicts the "gamechanger" tag that the initial press whipped up.

15. October 19th was available to pre-order according to an E-mail from the salesperson I was dealing with on that day (last Thursday).
    I wasted no time replying back respectfully thanking him however advising my interest also had diminished.
    Because of the still long wait time (2yrs) for Ionic 5, it looks like a replacement for me is either 2024 ID4 (VW which I have a pre-deposit on) or new gen Kona EV.
    My thoughts:
    ID4: things I like:
    Serviceable battery pack (MEB modules have been replaced - not many to this point - but easy to accomplish), just the wait for the module to arrive, those that have had to replace generally drive the car with reduced range and the turnaround once the module has arrived is pretty quick, (day or two)
    AWD, larger interior, quieter, DC charge speed w/ the SK packs ~175 kw.
    Things I don't like:
    The quirks: rear drum brakes, odd size tires (front to rear), no real camp mode (see Bjorn's camping videos) can be done but an effort, less range than Kona EV- even with the larger pack- although not by much;) (best efficiency Kona 125wH/km compared to 200 wH/km ID4 average). Lastly no NACS compatibility announced- although I suspect that will be rectified within too long, no V2L (without adding an inverter - same as gen one Kona EV)

New Gen Kona:
    I like:
    The 1.8 kW V2L capability, sunroof that opens, almost as much interior space as ID4, NACS compatibility (yet to be confirmed - non E-GMP) utility mode, $.
    Not sure of: New battery pack- CATL, non - serviceable, just how dependable and available replacement (China) the way things are these days, not sure I want to gamble on that. Inevitable a cell or two may go down for the count and we all are aware of the time involved even from Korea manufactured packs. Quirky exterior looks - front OK, the rest? JMHO, FWD only choice.

Both have coolant that doesn't require replacement every 3 years, and should qualify iZEV (TBD) :). Both have the charge ports in the wrong places.:(
    If I had to decide today, I would probably choose...
    Stay tuned:cool:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  16. insightman

I don't believe there have been any reports of CATL battery failures on InsideEVs' MINI SE forum.