caliper paint vs. covers vs. nothing

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Feb 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Several folks here have painted their brake calipers, but has anybody opted instead for aluminum or plastic covers? Or, are any of these even worth it with tentacle spoke wheels?

I like the idea of a bit of energetic yellow peeking through black wheels, but not sure I'm willing to invest either the time (painting) or money (aluminum covers). A potential upside to covers is that they are claimed to reduce brake dust deposits, which if true might be a motivation.

ETA: I see that there are also vinyl wraps, but I can't imagine that is a very good option for a complex, rough metal object that experiences high heat (maybe the vinyl melts into a nice coating? ;)).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I looked at all the options and ended up ordering G2 paint before I took delivery in August, but I have yet to apply it. I’ll likely get to it at spring tire swap time. The videos online show that the high-heat wraps are very effective and fairly easy to do overall, but I opted for black paint because I’ll be wearing Power Spokes eight months a year and they hide the innards for the most part. In winter, nobody’s noticing details like that up here. I likely would've gone with a complementary color if I had Tentacles or another slim spoke wheel set.

4. CuriousGeorge

Thanks for the feedback. After watching a video on vinyl film installation, I'm not convinced that it has much, if any, advantage, over paint.

So, call me lazy, but I'm still intrigued by plastic covers, at least if they can be had in energetic yellow. I did find one company that offered custom colors at no additional cost, but 1) they were $230, and 2) whether they could actually match the paint code is unknown.

5. SameGuy

YUL
    Yikes. At that price I’d save up a “bit” more and get JCW Brembos or some other BBK. ;)

6. CuriousGeorge

Yeah, crazy high price for four pieces of plastic.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. callaflatbed

callaflatbed New Member

IMG_1567.jpeg

The red caliper and yellow SE details clash unfortunately.

azausa and SameGuy like this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    I’m smiling, because while I’m envious of your JCW big brakes, I’m also realizing how little use they will actually get in day-to-day driving on the SE. :)

ghost and revorg like this.
  10. How do they feel driving day-to-day? And on long trips? Any impact on range? Did you have to change anything else bec of the caliper and brakes?

Can I kindly ask, why did you do it? Was it for performance or aesthetic?

11. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Covers degrade heat transfer, the brakes will run hotter. Probably not a street issue for the SE, don't think there is much towing. Brakes may fade quicker when Auto-crossing, however.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

My initial opinion of the SE brakes was they are a little underpowered. I put EBC red on the front, yellow on the back. That added the missing effort. Red/yellow combo adds more to the back than the front. I felt the balance was a little too front biased.

I have never seen a cover that I liked, which is the polite version.
    The EBC pads have them my brakes at a good enough level for me. Though I've just added TW200 tyres for cone dodging, so I may revise that opinion.

14. callaflatbed

callaflatbed New Member

@azausa I have always had modified cars. I work in the business and love cars in general, and have been lucky to always have interesting ones.

The car at present is set up for fast road use but will get some different coilovers and wheels/tires in the spring. Brakes are spectacular and really are a big part of the car's capabilities but far overkill for the majority of drivers. I plan on trying to auto-x this when its out of warranty, which most people aren't. I see about 4.1mi/kwh in winter and as high as 4.4mi/kwh in summer and that's with fairly spirited driving conditions.

tl;dr its the $1700 bolt on JCW kit - not worth it for most people (and the rear caliper doesn't fit on SE, so you keep that original)

IMG_2328.jpg

azausa and ghost like this.
  15. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

On my R53, I put R56S front brakes. To keep the balance about the same, I made 38mm Audi calipers fit the back. The rears happened after the fronts and made a very noticeable upgrade to the braking. They have gone from inadequate when I got it, to awesome.
    My R53 did have cheapo parts store pads when I got it, so the brakes were even worse than stock.
    The standard R53 brake balance is about right for enthusiastic driving. The R56 went to more bias to the front. The F56 is, I believe, the same balance as the R56.
    The SE has 280mm 54mm Justa F56 fronts, and 34mm 280mm Clubman rears as standard
    You lose stopping power if one end isn't doing its proper share. I feel the SE is somewhat lacking on rear brake bias as standard, more front brake without more on the back will make this worse. As I'm running street stock, brake alterations are limited to pads. I have EBC red front, yellow rear on the SE. Much better now, but I still think that more at the back would be even better. My R53 has reds all round.
    I just grabbed my ankles and got a set of 200TW tyres on lightish rims, so more testing now needed.

azausa and CuriousGeorge like this.
  16. CuriousGeorge

:)

17. CuriousGeorge

Although I am unlikely to ever drive my SE hard enough long enough for the performance of the friction brakes to matter, I do enjoy learning new things. So, thanks for sharing your opinion/experience.

18. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle New Member

Do 16 inch wheels fit with JCW calipers?

19. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Negative. And only certain 17 inch options.

20. Thanks @callaflatbed

callaflatbed likes this.
  21. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle New Member

Getting BBKs for the SE is purely cosmetic if your driving on the street. I might consider it down the road since I just got a set of 16 inch wheels with all season tires.

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Will you be driving on the all season tires year-round or are they just for winter? Do you feel a difference in grip compared to your OEM summer tires?