CA Prop 30

Discussion in 'General' started by danrjones, Sep 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Okay CA peeps, we have Prop 30 coming up. As many have recently (probably) heard, our Governor has come out AGAINST the measure, saying it was basically written by Lyft to help them afford EVs aka corporate welfare. The truth? I have linked the measure below. The actual wording is like 27 pages but the highlights sure make it look like it does a lot more than help Lyft. Even if Lyft did help write it, it could be a case of doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. Newsom points out CA has or is investing 10 billion in charging but my response to that is: MORE MORE MORE. If we indeed have or will spend 10 billion in 2022 I have no idea where it went; apparently, not near me. The only new EV charging stations this year near me were Rivian and Tesla V3. Thoughts?

Some highlights:

Income Tax Authorization: New income tax on individuals with income over $2 million

Creation of the Clean Cars and Clean Air Trust Fund: Revenue allocation

Zero-Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Investment Plan Sub-Fund: Purpose of sub-fund

Zero-Emission Vehicle and Clean Mobility Sub-Fund: Purpose of sub-fund

Wildfire Green House Gas Emissions Reduction Sub-Fund: Purpose of sub-fund

Other initiative provisions: Continuous fund appropriation and cap on administrative costs

California Proposition 30, Tax on Income Above $2 Million for Zero-Emissions Vehicles and Wildfire Prevention Initiative (2022) - Ballotpedia

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. smokey9701

smokey9701 New Member

So we are running out of water at Lake Powel and Lake Mead so power from there may be lost. We want to shutdown nuclear and no new nuclear plants are under construction and they take 20 years to built them. We don't want coal. Fusion is at least 75 more years away if it will ever work at all? So just how are people in CA going to charger 10 million new electric vehicles? Just where is that 50,000 megawatts of power going to come from? Everything in CA has a political answer to what are engineering problems. No wonder working class people can no longer afford to live in CA. I'm all for EVs but it is years and year away. Just think of people parked on the street with extension cords running all over the place or every street in LA dug up to put in new high voltage lines with no power plants to connect too. Lots of talk from CA law makers with no answers to any real life issues. I left CA years ago and never looked back.

4. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I'm not a moderator here, so feel free to rant as you wish, but that had nothing to do with Prop 30.

As far as your comments, I disagree. There is plenty of power available at night and morning hours. I never had any issue charging my leaf. And where will we get additional power as it becomes needed? Solar. We have more sun in the Southwest than we can ever use. I have solar on my roof that generates more than I ever use. We just need to start storing it. Micro and macro grid storage. And, I fully expect the cheapest power to slowly transition to the day. Almost everyone parks at a workplace, so having lvl 2 chargers at work is part of the solution.

Sure, it made the news recently that CA was urging folks not to charge from 4 to 9pm. Conservatives were turning it into a big joke. The actual funny thing is, almost no EV owner ever charges durung that time anyway! That's my most expensive time of electricity - we are on Time of Use. So it was really much ado about nothing. I'm not saying PGE and SCE don't need to work on their infrastructure - they do. But humans always adapt when forced to do so.

Ok, apparently nobody has insight into prop 30? I've read it and I don't see why Newsome is against it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    bwilson4web likes this.