BYD Seal

Discussion in 'General' started by Daniel Kutcher, May 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Daniel Kutcher

Daniel Kutcher New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Waiting means self-denial of today's technology.

March 26, 2019, I bought an EV technology snapshot, Tesla Model 3 Std Rng Plus. As of this post we have 3 years and 68,489 miles on it. But technology moves on and I can see paths to better, EVs in 2024-25:
    • Improved heating and cooling systems - already seen in later models
    • Aerodynamic improvements - wheel well and radiator reductions already seen
    • Weight reduction - use of larger castings and structural battery pack
    • Battery chemistry - 'black magic' but LFP looks promising
    A new product 2-3 years away is too vague for hard specifications today. But excellent technical paths exist and I look forward to seeing them while using my ancient 2019 EV.

Bob Wilson

4. Daniel Kutcher

Oh, I’m not waiting lol.

I just bought a 2022 Volvo C40 and am loving it. My wife and I were not impressed with the Tesla’s we test drove at all. But the Volvo was love at first drive (for her).

Attached Files:

5. bwilson4web

There weren’t many credible options in 2019.

Good luck!

Bob Wilson

6. Yep.
    Particularly if their purchases avoid traditional dealerships.

Daniel Kutcher likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

I’m partial to Native American reservation and tribal dealers and service centers.

Bob Wilson

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Tesla does not use animal skin in their interiors, but the BYD Seal does. Volvo C40 is also animal skin free but 82% controlled by China's Geely Holding Group.

Polestar is 50% Chinese so you can get a stylish Polestar 2 to match the C40.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  10. Daniel Kutcher

Personally, I like leather interiors. ( FYI animals aren’t raised for their hides. The skin is just a by product that would other wise just go to landfill). Either ways I don’t really care about that.

I also don’t care if a company is Chinese owned or not. Makes no difference to me, as long as the product makes me happy.

Keith Smith likes this.
  11. teslarati97

I thought we all drove electric cars to save the polar bears! Buying leather vehicle interiors means supporting JBS S.A. in Brazil and deforestation of the amazon.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Daniel Kutcher

We bought an EV to save money. Environmental issues never really entered our minds. Not that those things aren’t important. They just didn’t inform our decision whatsoever.

lol But I still like leather interiors because they look and feel great.

GetOffYourGas and bwilson4web like this.
  14. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

In any case, I think it's fine to enjoy what we have and simultaneously lust after what's coming -- and look forward to the day when attractive EVs are so plentiful that the dealers have to stop price-gouging.

15. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I have mixed feelings about Chinese vehicles entering Canada if they do. How durable and reliable will they be? Who is going to service them when things go wrong. Like most people in this forum I wouldn't want to live under such a totalitarian government and would feel that I'm supporting same by purchasing MIC products, but I have to admit that China's progress in science and technology is astounding. And they have a high speed rail that puts US and Canada to shame.

There seems to be a fair consensus here that dealers are bad and buy direct from the manufacturer is the way to go. This isn't going to fly unless independent repair centres are established with full access to necessary data under right to repair laws.

Leather interiors: Ugh. I have long felt that I can learn so much about a person simply by how they relate to animals. I am almost vegan but not a purist so I allowed myself to buy my first Leaf (a 2016 SL) which had black leather seats. The off gassing from tanning chemicals during the first few months was horrendous. During hot months I had to open the doors and stand outside to let the stench out. They got so hot in the summer I had to find hotel sized bath towels to drape over the driver's seat as they got hot enough to feel painful. They also felt quite sticky.
    I normally don't buy top level trims but the dealer wanted to get rid of it (how times have changed) and offered me a sweet heart deal. My current 2018 S has seat fabrics made from recycled plastic and I find them much more to my liking. Never leather again for me.

DJP likes this.
  16. teslarati97

Chinese vehicles will be extremely durable and reliable. They have amassed decades of knowledge and experience with their mandatory joint venture requirements with government corporations and international automakers. Although full ownership is allowed as of Jan 1, 2022, Tesla managed to get a running start in 2018 with their wholly-owned gigafactory in Shanghai. Was there a handshake agreement for backdoor Chinese government access to MIC Model 3/Y? Probably, but nobody cares. At any rate, the sedan/saloon is finally back!