buzzing sound from front wheel

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MiniJimmy, Jun 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MiniJimmy

MiniJimmy Member

I never really paid attention so this is probably a normal sound. But today, as it was my wife driving the car, I noticed that there is a sound coming from the front wheel even when the car is not moving. This is in addition to the normal pedestrian warning hum. The best way I can describe the sound is that it is a buzz and grinding sound, a bit like a motor that needs to be oiled.. If I sit in the car and have the windows rolled up (which I usually do), I can't hear it. But I can hear it if the window on the driver side is rolled down. Has any of you noticed this? Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've never heard such a sound. Did you make sure it's not the HVAC fan? Does the sound happen only when the ambient temperature is high or does it persist at night when it's cooler? but I assume there's a fan to help the radiator that cools the battery, motor, and other electronics.

If the sound is present even when you're stopped, the diagnosis should be much easier. You won't have to strap yourself to the hood while someone else drives. If the sound goes away when you open the door and get out, have someone else drive your SE to where you are standing (remain standing until they come to a stop).

4. MiniJimmy

MiniJimmy Member

I did suspect it might be the HVAC fan so I parked the car in a cooler spot and the sound went away a short while later. So you are right, I think it's the fan sound when it was hotter earlier during the day. I have just never heard it before so got worried. Thanks for providing a possible answer!

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Oh, I've heard the fan sound after a long trip. It's quite noisy and kind of higher pitch.

polyphonic and MiniJimmy like this.
  6. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

The HVAC sound in my car is a high frequency hiss, similar to that from active speaker monitors. Sometimes the HVAC unit putters too when AC is on. I cannot say that I have ever heard grinding.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's the cooling for the battery pack? Here's a photo of the front of the battery pack (from Electric MINI Enthusiasts Facebook group) with the coolant ports circled. They must be hooked up to some sort of recirculating pump, and that could be the source of the sound.

[​IMG]

The orange plug in the center is the high voltage connector that leads to the motor.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021