Buzzing noise from Charge Port/Inlet?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by kpnelson42, Jun 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kpnelson42

kpnelson42 New Member

We have a new (March) 2022 Kona Electric SE regularly charged with a home level 2 charger (GrizzlE) set to 60% - using 15-20% per day currently - with ~6K miles and love it. First issue this weekend - the charge port makes a "buzzing" sound 6-8 times when you unlock the doors, lock the doors, turn the car on, or turn the car off. The sound is similar to trying to start an IC car with a dead battery and the starter relay "buzzes". The sound seems to be coming directly from the charge port- not the engine compartment fuse box. I called for service and they say it is "fine to drive" and they cannot get me in for two weeks. I am concerned about what it might be and the potential to get worse before getting to the shop - despite reassurance from the service tech. I am curious if anyone has any insights or experienced a similar issue. Thanks in advance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There have been a number of port actuator problems reported over the years and in those cases the entire unit is replaced. It's trying and failing to lock or unlock the connector for whatever reason. You could try the portable charger to compare as it may be the GrizzlE connector rather than the car's fault.

Best add your geographic location so posters know what connector you have.

4. kpnelson42

kpnelson42 New Member

Thank you for the feedback, I’ll look for the other port actuator threads. I am on the east coast of the US with the J1772 level 2 connector.