Buying a Clarity - any tips on getting good deal for Washington State?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DBSeattle, Sep 16, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DBSeattle

DBSeattle New Member

We're about to buy a Clarity (not sure which trim).
    We live in Seattle, where there is no longer a state incentive for EVs though we'll still get the $7500 tax rebate.
    Looking at the posts on the forum it seems that certain states get access to lower prices (presumably from incentives that Honda provides). I don't think Washington is one of those states (though Oregon might be and it's not too far). Looks like we could likely get $1500 off MSRP but I'm hoping for better.
    Any experience or success stories on getting a good deal specifically here in Washington that people might share? Strategies, friendly dealers, deals you were able to get (good or bad) - any advice would be welcome and help in our negotiation - thanks in advance!

Matt B likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Matt B

Matt B New Member

Got mine at Lynnwood Honda for, I believe, $700 over invoice, using Costco deal. Not exactly sure how that compares to MSRP. They were able to track down the color and trim that I wanted from another dealer, since their inventory on the lot is somewhat limited. Let me know if you want contact info for the sales guy (low pressure, nice to work with). The fleet sales guy does their Costco sales.

4. Clarity Dave

Clarity Dave Member

We bought ours, at Honda of Bellevue, a week before the sales tax exemption expired, so since we were saving $3600 or so right there we didn't have much leverage. We did manage to reduce the cost of the options (which, happily were minimal on that particular car anyway).

5. lanb

lanb Active Member

Your best bet is probably Portland area or SFO. BTW, Portland is the port for west coast Honda (and Toyota) shipments.

6. Dustin

Dustin Member

As a WA resident you won't qualify for Oregon incentives, but that doesn't mean Oregon is a bad option. Western WA dealers won't move much on the cars even tho they don't have a supply issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Inside EVs mobile app

jdonalds likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ClarityJim

ClarityJim New Member

I bought mine from Honda of Bellevue after calling all over the state for the best prices. They were a couple thousand below the other Truecar offers. In the end we got a Touring for $34,250 (about 3500 below MSRP). We got the state sales tax exemption and the federal tax credit, so all in all I was happy. Ask for Morocco, he was a great salesman.

DBSeattle likes this.
  9. thecompdude

thecompdude Member

Any feedback on the knowledge of the dealer service department? Anyone have good experience with any of the Seattle area Honda dealers?

Who do you think has sold more Clarity cars and has the most knowledge?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Inside EVs mobile app

10. ClarityJim

ClarityJim New Member

I can't comment on service. I moved to Italy 3 months after buying my car. It's likely the only Clarity in Italy and maybe Europe. I'm praying for 2 morr years without maintenance drama or the introduction of Honda PHEVs in Europe soon. I'm still on the original software as well. I know lots are getting the range update and heat valve software fix, but for now I will have to wait on those. Knock on wood, I have been trouble free for 9 months.

thecompdude and insightman like this.
  11. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Our dealer in Eugene had six when I purchased in Sept 2018. I heard there was a 6K dealer incentive in Oregon and California. I did see a Beaverton adv. for Touring model at 29K which if you subtract 10K in credit/rebate is awesome deal (it was posted on this forum). Anyway, our dealer sold out of Clarity's a couple months ago. I don't know when they might get more, or general availability in Oregon now.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. thecompdude

thecompdude Member

There are still quite a few dealers with inventory left here in wa state and I don't see much movement.

I think I got lucky with my buy, getting 8500+ off the msrp of the base. But most of the other dealers are not willing to discount more than a couple thousand. Not sure why the discrepancy between the dealers. I wonder how one dealer is able to offer a discount, whereas the others are not able to.

14. jlebowski

jlebowski New Member

We purchased our Base model in Tri-Cities:

MSRP: $34295
    Sale price: $33795

edmunds TMV: $31322

Actual price: $32500

They have not replaced it since our purchase on March 30. As of today, the closest Base Clarity I could find online is in Wenatchee, 97 miles away. They're asking $32,924.

15. thecompdude

thecompdude Member

I got a quote of 26500 + TTL from the Wenatchee Honda for the base version. About 29K OTD.

Ended up buying from a local dealer in Seattle instead of going over the mountain pass.