Buyback & still access to the car?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Robbert, Apr 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Former Kona owner here who went through the buyback process last year (I handed over the car around August/Sept, but it was paperwork fun from March on).

In any case, after I handed over the car & keys, I occasionally would follow along where the car was. I'm in NH and the car spent a good 4 months at the dealership where I dropped it off. Then it suddenly went to an auto auction in PA. It was there for a few weeks, and then went to a car dealer in the Chicago area. And now it appears someone has bought it. Oddly enough at each of these junctures I figured Hyundai would finally cut off my access to the car. But they haven't ...

Any other buyback folks in the same boat?

A little unnerving for the poor new owners of my car. I know where they live, where they work, where they get their groceries. And I can remotely unlock, beep, start the car, etc. And no, I have not scared the new owners by making their car do something they're not expecting.

And no, I'm not a stalker, but I just looked in the app every now and then to see if I still had access. At this point the new owners have had the car for a month or so. I figure they probably set up their own app & account.

So I'm guessing Hyundai will let me watch this car forever ... I'll probably do the right thing and call Hyundai, but this is a scary breach of privacy. And I guess something to keep in mind if you buy a used "connected" car ...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. They will let you watch forever. I only had mine removed about 6 months after handing over my car because I got there Ioniq 5 and the dealer asked me if they should remove the old car which they did.

I tracked it all the way from new Mexico into the port of Los Angeles where I saw it last.

4. With a simple phone call to the appropriate connection service the account (and tracking capabilities) can be removed.
    I have done this several times immediately after possession has been transferred , including Nissan connect and Bluelink.
    I do agree some form of automation should be in place, but generally with free subscriptions - it is left entirely up to the user.
    Better things to do with my time to be honest, and it gives me satisfaction knowing the new owners of the pre owned vehicles have one less headache;)

Esprit1st likes this.
  5. I tracked mine to Port Hueneme where it sat for several months, moving to another lot occasionally. Then it disconnected and hasn't come back. Possibly it hasn't been turned on in 5 months or so, but more likely my connection was removed.

6. No, it's still in my account and still at Port Hueneme. They just moved it to another lot, and that turned it on again. It's been 10 months now. With the price of used cars, I wonder why they haven't replaced the battery, washed it and sold it. KBB says its value is about the sticker price when new, less the $7500 tax credit.

7. To remove this ad click here.