Building a Stealth SE. Need some photos and advice.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Sep 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

With my SE still staged at the port in England, I've got a bit of time to plan some cosmetic upgrades. I'm going to mention some assumptions I have about my future car; if anyone with an actual SE in his hands has better info, please correct me!

What I'll be working toward is an electric MINI that does not obviously give away the fact that it is electric. I've always like "sleeper" cars, and the bright yellow, large badges on the SE rub me the wrong way. Fortunately, the car itself doesn't look like most of the early, funky, weird EVs, but someone in the marketing department still thinks that a BEV must scream "electric car" vice just "car." Me no likey.

I'm fairly well convinced that with my grey body, black roof, and black mirror caps, I will not have the yellow, large blade insert in the front of the grille. But there will be the round yellow emblem with the plug logo still there. I'd like to have a close-up photo of that and an opinion of what it would take to remove and replace it. Is it something that might just pop out?

I know there is a similar, giant yellow emblem on the port aft of the hatch. I assume that is held on with double-sided tape and would come off with a heat gun. Buh bye.

How about the port and starboard side scuttles? I don't have a good photo of those, but I see lots of aftermarket scuttle replacements, so I assume those would be an easy switch.

The 17" Tentacle Spoke wheels I ordered will, I believe, come with yellow-"enhanced" center caps, but, again, I see plenty of cap replacements online.

Finally, if I really wanted to go for it, I might replace the entire grille. However, that's a big step and might harm the aero and thus range, so I'll probably wait on that until I get the other stuff done.

Any photos and opinions are welcome and appreciated! Aft Badge.PNG

Scott's Mini Stealth.jpg

MichaelC likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Check out this thread on another forum: https://www.minif56.com/threads/change-grill-on-full-ev-mini-f56.87896/

The third picture in that thread shows a close-up of the emblem on the front grille. You may be able to pop out the badge, but it looks like you'd be left with a circular notch. That thread shows the end results of the owner swapping in a "regular" grille, and includes part numbers on the second page.

That's my expectation.

I expect you're right on both counts.

4. F14Scott

Boy, that was helpful.
    That guy's front end looks so much better than the SE's smooth grille with yellow badge, IMO. $300 in parts, and the swap looks like something I could do. Very tempting to just get them on the way...
    Thanks for the help!

Toi and MichaelC like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Go to 1:45 in this video to watch the hatch emblem being attached at the factory. Will you take a black Sharpie to the yellow S on on the hatch?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  6. F14Scott

Great video. There are some close-ups of the side scuttles at about 4:00, too.

I didn't know it was yellow. Since the new grille S is red, maybe some nail polish...

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

Are you considering adding exhaust outlet tips?

insightman likes this.
  9. F14Scott

Ha! Maybe an external vroom-vroom sound system... And some gas station receipts on the dash...

10. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

Receipts on the dash -- perfect.
    Heck, for old time's sake pull into a gas station once in awhile and go through the motions of filling 'er up.
    I'd be funny if a guy at the next pump asked if you even thought of getting an electric MINI.
    Stealth indeed.

11. insightman

Did you notice at the end of the video is a Moonwalk Grey SE with a black top, black mirror caps, and a Vigorous Grey grille blade driving through their labyrinth?

Here is a side photo of the E on the grille. I believe the blade with E is one piece. Also here's a view of the S on the hatch. Did you know there is an Energetic Yellow S on both aluminum door sills?

upload_2020-9-21_9-30-34.png
    upload_2020-9-21_9-31-32.png
    upload_2020-9-21_9-32-16.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

Son of a motherless goat. I did not notice that, and it contradicts my intel that black roof and mirror caps = grey blade. So. much. yellow. branding.

Well, if mine shows up with the blade, I'm swapping the grille. Maybe I concede yellow "S"s everywhere and try to paint the new grille's red S to yellow, rather than trying to paint all the other things red. Anyone know a Pantone match for the energetic yellow?

Here's my parts list from outmotoring.com
    Grille parts.PNG

Toi likes this.
  14. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Planning to do similar... if enough of us do it, we'll be able to build a quick how-to parts list :)

15. insightman

Wait! The black-roof/black-caps MINI Cooper SE at the end of the video DOES have a grey blade (of course, with the yellow E).

Your more visually altering transformation will be less expensive than my scoopless hood. I believe a primer-painted base MINI Cooper hood retails for $640. Then it has to be painted.

F14Scott likes this.
  16. Rich M.

Rich M. New Member

F14Scott likes this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

This is second hand info, so I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe it to be reliable.

The “Energetic Yellow” is:
    Pantone 612C
    CMYK: 0/0/100/23​

F14Scott likes this.
  18. F14Scott

19. SKnight25

SKnight25 New Member

What is the Air Inlet Finisher? I thought the bottom piece was just one single piece of plastic, no?

20. F14Scott

I don't know, but here's a picture of it. It was on the parts list of the guy who did the swap.
    Screenshot_20200922-222317_Chrome.jpg