Broke my steering wheel horn trim. Dammit.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, May 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Driving home tonight on a 5 lane Houston highway at about 65 MPH, a stupid Mercedes 3xx changed lanes into me while I was overtaking him on his left. I had traffic to my left, so all I could do was brake hard and get on the horn to hopefully stop his left-ward progress long enough for me to relatively back out of the pinch.

I sloppily jammed my right palm on the horn's vinyl center and the chrome ring surrounding it and pushed hard, to bring the horn to full blast ASAP. As I did it, I heard and felt the chrome ring give way with a crack. Fortunately, my maneuver worked and I avoided a crash. But my chrome ring has a visible line in it where the crack is. I can't unsee it.

I wonder if a visible defect that occurred in the horn's normal (albeit strong) operation is a warranty claim?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Yeah, probably. I've used my horn plenty over the last 10 years and the trim has held up fine. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a manufacturing defect.

F14Scott and Todd Swift like this.
  4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry this happened. I would definitely ask.

5. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I too would ask. I had to lay on a horn for a driver who was being a total... well... big truck trying to intimidate small car situation. Doesn't sound normal to me.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

It's getting downright dangerous on the roads these days. I've never wanted a dash cam before but nowadays I feel like it might be a good idea.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I've had one for about 4 years now (front and rear) and thankfully have not needed it but it's nice for peace of mind.

I have caught a bunch of dummies on camera though... driving on the wrong side of the road directly at me, skidding/fishtailing through a red light, blowing through a stop sign and cutting me off, and about a thousand people swerving all over while on their phones.

F14Scott and quietlyspinach like this.
  9. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

I've had front dashcams in my cars for years; I really like the StreetGuardian cameras because they can withstand the hot sun. With my new car I finally decided to get one with front and rear cameras because I got rear-ended a few months ago. Thankfully the driver took responsibility but it would have been good to have the footage just in case.

polyphonic and F14Scott like this.
  10. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Anyone else feel like we are way less visible in Minis? This is my first Mini, but I try to “be seen” by placing the car in people’s side mirrors and away from blind spots at all times.

I’m also a little surprised at how much I miss blind spot monitoring in such a small car. I have mirrors well-adjusted, no tint, and always shoulder check but am sometimes surprised.

Another vote for Street Guardian. Great product and support.

11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I've driven huge vans and tucks down to Minis. I jumped from a Civic Si (2 dr hatch) to an SUV and thought for sure they'd see me more. Nope. I don't think size has to do with anything.

I have my mirrors adjusted so that I don't actually have a blind spot. My rear mirror (with seats down) shows some, but my sides pick up exactly where my rear mirror leaves off. I forgot to adjust one the first day and nearly messed up, but they easily adjust when I move them around (not all cars allow it the same way unfortunately). I only have had blind spot detection in rentals so I don't miss it much.

F14Scott and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I switched to this method too, and it's so much safer. I think the idea of seeing your car in the side mirror may be a throwback to when cars were gigantic.

Car and Driver has an article: How To Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

upload_2021-5-9_19-46-38.png

14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Yep! This is exactly what I do! I learned this right around the time it was published and been doing it ever since.

15. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member