Break-in period

Discussion in 'Volt' started by prestoOne, Mar 13, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. prestoOne

prestoOne Member

So I go and buy this car and the dealership is 200 miles away.
    The way back is all highway but I supposed I can take some short detours into small town or two.

1/2 gas and 1/2 electric.
    Has anyone researched this, done this?

thank you

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Hmmm so are you saying that you intend to drive 200 miles to buy the Volt and you'd like to drive back with at least 50% EV miles?

I mean, if you want to you really could. :p Personally, I wouldn't bother. The electric motor is for every day driving, the ICE is for long distance driving.

If the Volt had a quicker L2 charging rate then I'd say go for it... take a long lunch break on your way back! But it only charges at 3.3 kW. If you've been driving highway speeds the whole way, the Volt will only charge about 10 miles / hour. Waiting 4+ hours to eek out 45 electric miles to save 1 gallon of gas isn't worth it.

4. prestoOne

prestoOne Member

My question was bad and I don't think it will be a volt, probably a clarity but I don't want to ask in that forum. I really don't car if I go all the way on electric or not but I figure the use of the electric motor will help with the break in because it will allow me to vary the load on the engine.
    Maybe 200 miles it too much.

5. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

I see, I think I know what you mean now. I'm not sure that it would make a difference, although someone else might have a more informed opinion than myself.

I know the Volt has a Hold mode which will let you maintain the current level of charge while on the highway. The Clarity might do the same, I believe it is "HV mode" but I have not driven a Clarity PHEV so I would check with an owner about that.

Anyways, I would suggest driving on electricity for a 10-15 miles, then switching to "Hold" or "HV mode" (Depending on what car you get) for 50 miles or so. Then turn off hold mode and use electric for another 10-15 miles. Then switch back to "hold or hv mode"...

Just repeat that until you've depleted your charge. That will mix up your driving between electric and ICE.

Again, I don't think it will actually be beneficial. But at the very least it won't hurt your car. And it will give you a chance to get to know the different functions and modes. :)

prestoOne likes this.