Braking Issue

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Sandroad, Jan 11, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

After 6 months of ownership, I had my first unwelcome issue with my ’23 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD today. As sometimes happens here in Michigan, the roads around my house were extremely slick this morning with rain/snow that froze overnight. On my morning trip to the dog walk park, there were accidents right on my road, so I turned around and went about a 1/4 mile to a local church to run my dog. On the way back, I tested the brakes and the vehicle slid sideways to the right as the anti-lock brakes kicked in (or didn’t?). That happened twice. I had the feeling the rear brakes locked quickly and not the same left/right. I had the regen set on the second level and I wonder if the regen part of the system was right on the verge of skidding the rear when I let off the accelerator and then when I hit the brake pedal it started the slide? My main concern is the sideways rather than straight ahead stop.

I’ve owned hybrids/plug-in hybrids, or EVs since 2005, all with regen capability and I’ve never had the effect I experienced this morning before. They have all had excellent regen to friction brake transition in all conditions with straight ahead stops.

I wonder if the regen system works only from the rear wheels?

I know that the key to happiness with any vehicle is to keep expectations extremely low for dealership service and manufacturer responsiveness. If the braking going sideways happens again, with regen off, I may ask the service department if they will look at the rear brakes. But I’m sure it will be the usual “Could not duplicate customer concern. Brakes working as designed.”

In the meantime, I think I’ll look at the cost of a set of Michelin winter tires for it. I’m running the stock Primacy A/S now.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Enable Snow mode and it should be working AWD and the regen won't work against ya.

Mike Bearsails and Sandroad like this.
  4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Thanks. In this morning’s storm aftermath, Snow mode stabilized everything. I had forgotten that feature.

electriceddy, XtsKonaTrooper and R P like this.