Brake Regen on full battery

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by kevosuki, Jul 26, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kevosuki

kevosuki New Member

Hi guys. I just want to make sure this isn't unique to my car only.

When the battery is fully charged via my 120V charger overnight, the next morning, brake regen is extremely limited to mimic engine braking only and friction brakes are heavily used until the battery has been discharged a few percent. Is this normal behavior?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. kevosuki

kevosuki New Member

Side note: does anyone have a buzzing/rattling noise coming from the headliner near where the moonroof would be if the car had a moonroof? I'm thinking about bringing my car in to get that checked out while installing the HV range fix.

4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

That is normal and if you're going downhill (see Bobcubsfan thread: https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/ice-runs-after-going-down-a-hill-at-the-beginning-of-my-drive.2424/ ), your gas engine will turn on, presumably to expend the energy from the generator.

5. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Yes, normal. The Clarity does an excellent job blending friction and regen braking dynamically if you press the pedal.

6. kevosuki

kevosuki New Member

Alright thanks guys!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

Go easy on the regen for the first few miles if you don’t want the ice coming on...

9. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I go easy on the brakes the first few miles until there is regen so I don't use pads.
    I do the same thing for a different reason.
    Never had the engine turn on until 2 bars on EV.
    Not sure if it matters, but I also use HV mode a lot on long trips.
    Wondering if running all that gas though the system sets the "fresh fuel" cycle differently as opposed to running all EV.
    There has to be some trigger calling the engine to run, just don't know what it is yet.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

That trigger can be the “Sustem Check” that runs the ICE to keep it lubed and ready to run when called upon. I run almost exclusively EV and in 4 1/2 months of EV only I’ve only has the ICE come on briefly 3 times. two were immediately after a full charge and one was 3 miles afterwards. So System Checks and/or the limited regen/battery protection/ICE running (we gotta come up with a name for that) only caused 3 brief idle speed ICE operations in 4 1/2 over 3,000 miles in all EV w no HV. I bet for those running periodically in HV that they have less System Checks. And for some reason for the last couple of months, I’m not getting the limited regen/ battery protection/ ICE start.

I’m totally happy with a car that only takes 0.2 gal to go 4,000 miles. That makes it a virtual BEV for local driving and the icing on the cake is no range anxiety for long trips.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Johnhaydev and weave like this.