Brake lights with the Regen Paddles

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by UncheckedException, Jan 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So it’s been the prevailing wisdom around here that the regen paddles *do not* activists the brake lights on the Clarity, but with the winter hellscape in the Northeast I have some new evidence to the contrary.

The caked salt on my lower rear windshield is reflecting the middle brake light, and I’ve noticed that it does seem to activate in certain circumstances with only the regen paddles in use. Specifically, I noticed the lights come on with three or more chevrons, at speeds exceeding ~15mph. Using only the paddles to slow down, the brake lights turned off below that speed. Perhaps it’s related to the severity of braking?

I’ll do some further testing (and try not to die in the process). In the meantime, what have your experiences been? It seems important to know if we’re signaling our speed change to other drivers or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's a real issue. The brake lights in non-EV cars don't come on when they're coasting, and an ICE slows down when coasting, even if not to the degree a regen'ing EV does. If it weren't for the labels plastered all over the car, nobody outside would know the car was regen'ing or just coasting.

4. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

I am sure the degree-of-deceleration trigger for the brake lights has been brought up before. The "no brake lights" meme is simply a prevailing whine.

5. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I have not noticed any reflection of brake lights on reflective signs when I use RB. I do notice the reflection when using the brake pedal. On the other hand I have noticed the reflection when slowing down using ACC.