Brake lights come on?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Klong, Aug 8, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Does anyone know if the brake lights come on during hard regenerative braking - when you do not touch the brakes but use the full paddle regeneration to slow the car? And in slow speed follow mode, when traffic slows and stops? I am guessing in collision mitigation mode (BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE) when the car slams on the brakes because you did not brake - the lights must come on. Any confirmation on this too?

I am wondering if I should be touching my brakes to warn inattentive drivers that I am slowing down sometimes.

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tailwind

Tailwind Active Member

The highest level of region braking (4 chevrons) does illuminate the brake lights. Someone else tried it out by having his wife follow him and verify that they do in fact illuminate.

4. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Wow I did not know that. Thanks for posting.

5. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

Another one for the FAQ.

geo

6. weave

weave Active Member

I've thought about that in sport mode with four chevrons in sticky. So every time you let your foot off the accelerator it's going to light up the brakes. You probably look like a nervous nelly from behind!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Chuck

Chuck Member

Morning all, Can anyone else confirm the brake lights with full paddle regen (FPR, Regen>>>>, we need an acronym). I was curious and called my wife when she was following me in her Bolt and she never saw the brake lights until I pressed the brake pedal. It is possible that she was just looking to scoot around me to show how much faster her car is. Payback for all the times I did it to her in my twin-turbo V-8 BMW. Do I miss the sub 5 second 0-60, sometimes, not so much the 13 MPG. I am still amazed how much faster an EV feels that the stop-watch shows.

Akinto likes this.
  9. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Your Clarity is behaving as it should. The brake lights DO NOT come on with four chevrons of regen showing. If somebody's car did that, it's because they touched the brake pedal. Our cars behave like one with a manual transmission—when you downshift, the brake lights don't come on.

10. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

My brake lights also do not come on for any paddle operation including 4 chevrons. I've used reflective signs on local streets, so only tested to about 30 mph, can't say what happens (if anything) at higher speeds.

11. Jaketesla

Jaketesla Member

I just posted in another thread that the brake lights do come on (at full regen without touching the brake pedal) but only at higher speeds. I think it's dependent on the rate of deceleration, like many other EV's.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

For Adaptive Cruise Control, I’ve tested it and when the car brakes, the brake lights come on.

14. Chuck

Chuck Member

I have seen that also when running on ACC but only seems to light the brakes when it is slowing at quite a rate, going down past the max regen and engaging the friction brakes. The Clarity REALLY doesn't like it if someone pulls in front of you, even at a distance of 4-6 car lengths. I jumps on the brakes and then does not start speeding up until the distance balloons up to 10+ car lengths. I turn if off pretty quickly, worried about getting rear-ended even if the brake lights are turning on. I know I would get annoyed if the driver in front of me acted like this.

Daniel M W likes this.
  15. Candice

Candice Active Member

I did a test yesterday with my husband following me to a free charger. When we dropped the car off, it was daylight. The brake lights did not come on when I pressed the regen paddle at all, even at level three.

However, on the way home (after dark) with the headlights on, when I was traveling at over 40 mph, the brake lights came on after pressing the paddles twice (3 chevrons). When I was traveling under 40 mph, the brake lights came on after pressing the paddles 3 times (4 chevrons). I run the car with the headlights on auto so if it bright enough during the day, the lights are off and therefore it seems the brake lights are not affected by the regen paddles. I am not sure if you turn the headlights on during the day how it will affect the brake lights/regen paddles as I have not tested it yet.

16. Nathan66669

Nathan66669 New Member

I've always wondered about the ACC (my wife has had a pilot for some time now and I've been wanting to test that on her car and see if my Clarity is similar).

Has anyone else felt that the paddle regeneration has two levels? Coming off the highway from 75 mph I almost always use the 4 chevrons, but after slowing for some time it feels like it 'kicks it up a notch'.

I need to keep trying and I might get some specific numbers, but it feels like from 75 to 40 is a nice steady decel, but once I hit 40 it seems to slow at a higher rate. I wonder if the lights would come on then?

17. Odobo

Odobo Active Member

Yes I think it deceleration faster at slower speed.... I can bring the car to a stop with the regen when it is slow enough to begin with but the car will keep rolling and wont stop if I use the paddle regen to try to slow the car to a stop from a block away...