Brake light still not staying illuminated when stopped with left paddle

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KiwiME, May 31, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Because it was easy I installed an LED indicator in the hatch area upper opening to indicate when the brake light is "on". Much to my surprise the light does not stay illuminated after stopping with the left paddle, an issue raised in 2018 by numerous owners including The EV Puzzle on YouTube, and one I thought had been corrected with a software update in 2019. So, I've been driving around for 4 years assuming this boneheaded design error had been corrected.
    82702518-DF55-4D0B-A9F0-0CD027573252_1_102_o.jpeg
    535A4ADD-238E-4ECC-B849-FAD3166EF404_1_201_a.jpeg

The 3mm LED has been tapped into the centre brake light via (2) 220 ohm resistors.

electriceddy and hobbit like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's a great idea! I did the same thing when I couldn't stand not knowing when my MINI Cooper SE was deciding to illuminate the brake lights in response to regen braking. The interior brake LED has helped me modify my driving style a bit to minimize frequent flashing.

Years later and I'm still sending a free 12V LED to anyone who wants one. Just send me a message with your address. I've sent out 6 or 7 of the 100 I had to buy to get one with the resistor built-in.

In InsideEVs' MINI Cooper SE forum someone described seeing another MINI Cooper, but didn't get a good enough look to see the EV logo that would confirm it was an SE. A fellow forum member's reply still makes me laugh: Did you notice if the brake lights were flashing on and off?

KiwiME likes this.
  4. Yes, that's essentially the same mod, and for identical reasons. I also initially placed it too high to be visible and had to lower it and patch the original hole with epoxy. I've only driven 10 minutes with it so far but it's very useful to know what signals you're providing following vehicles.

The Kona's brake light is well-enough behaved in static regen Levels 2 and 3 and is appropriately responsive with both 'brake pedal' and 'paddle'. Auto Hold mode holds the brake light on as it should but not Left-paddle-hold, a puzzling oversight IMO.

I bought a handful of 3mm LED types from the local electronics hobbyist chain store and tested them for brightness and current. I settled on one rated for 40 mA maximum and then sized the resistor (2 x 220 ohms) for 31 mA.

If anyone needs better photos I'm not adverse to pulling it apart and providing those.

22kona, wlbugle and insightman like this.
  5. Even removing the trim would become a bit of an adventure and learning experience for some older folks like me.

KiwiME likes this.
  6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I had a telltale in the 2019, poked through into the instrument binnacle near the power/regen meter and
    tapped into the brake light wire at the chassis connectors under the kick panel. I never duplicated that
    in the 2021, but that looks like a somewhat easier way to do it, and may even make more sense in terms
    of road sightline. I'm frequently checking what's behind me while braking anyway, to make sure people
    are paying attention...

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The brake light behaviour with fixed regen levels and the footbrake all seem fit for purpose, it's just the case of holding position after using left-paddle-hold that is lacking. As best as I can see Hyundai are still in compliance with NZ vehicle regulations because "stop lamp" indicators only apply to the "service brakes".

YouTube channel Technology Connections did good video on the Ioniq 5's brake light behaviour for those who haven't seen it, focusing on i-pedal mode.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

This and the other thread / youtube about this inspired me to add a brake lights telltale again, in Kiwi's
    elegant style, but poking through the trim near the left end instead of the middle. This puts it closer to my
    normal sightline at minimal visual displacement across the rearview mirror.

55brkt_s.jpg

I want full control of my brake lights at intersections. I drop to Neutral so I don't roll forward, and
    deliberately pulse the brake lights at someone coming up behind me to help make sure they're paying
    attention. I don't know if that would have saved the 2019 from getting rear-ended except there was
    another Jeep in the way blocking the view ... and the at-fault party was cluless. Can't fix stupid.

_H*

KiwiME and electriceddy like this.
  10. An update is on the way.;)

KiwiME likes this.
  11. A good video demonstrating the above scenarios.
    Most notable in Hyundai, Kia, Genesis and Mercedes EVs. Further explains until federal standards are updated, a good practice to utilize "blended braking" as the lights will come on conforming to the existing foot on the brake pedal requirement (FMVSS-108) without loss of recouping regeneration.;)

Only exception Ionic 6

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    KiwiME likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    Using iPedal on my EV6, this image (using Car scanner Pro) shows what happens when you feather the go pedal (left of image), and when you take your foot off the go pedal completly. (right of image).

I don't use iPedal, preferring to use Auto Regen level 2, and pulling the left paddle to stop. If any further braking force is needed, then that's what the brake pedal is for. :D

John

Screenshot_20230629-210911.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  14. I don't like complete one pedal driving, ie coming to a complete stop with raising the pedal all the way. I prefer just the regen setting (strong is best), and when coming to a stop just stepping on the brake at the end for a complete stop. Let it off and bit and it will creep forward, which is often the case in stop and go traffic. That is basically the same as an ICE car and if driving both makes the transition back and forth more natural.

KiwiME likes this.