Bolt EV storage for extended period

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Jfcrabbit, Nov 29, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jfcrabbit

Jfcrabbit New Member

Does anyone have any recommendations on storing the car for 2-3 months? What would be best to not damage batteries?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jfcrabbit

Jfcrabbit New Member

Never mind. Found the answer on page 259 in owners manual

Domenick and WadeTyhon like this.
  4. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

For longer than 4 weeks, discharge the HV battery to 2-3 bars, and trickle charge the 12 volt battery while you are away. Leave the car unplugged at the charger port.

WadeTyhon likes this.
  5. Albemarle

Albemarle New Member

Dealer said they checked with GM and that's what you do even for winter storage. Do not plug in.

6. Chevy Bolt storage.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I have my Bolt EV in storage for 6 weeks. Its not plugged in, its at about five bars, and it has a 12 volt AGM battery charger hooked up to the correct points under the hood. I have a security camera on it, so if it disappears in a puff of smoke, I will know about it. I will update the status in 6 weeks!

Domenick likes this.
  9. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Came back home. 12v Battery charger indicated the 12v battery was fully charged. Disconnected trickle charging. The car was still at about five bars. Plugged car into my ChargePoint charger. Car charged fine. Drove away on my first trip with no problems. So, six weeks without use gave me no problems whatsoever.

Domenick likes this.
  10. Thanks for the update!

11. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Just to report back on this; I put my Chevy Bolt in storage for 6 weeks over Christmas and had no problem. The trickle charger I used kept the 12 battery nicely charged. When I returned, I disconnected the AGM charger, plugged in the car's HV charger. Everything charged back up with no problem, and I was on my way.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.