BMW could get financial boost to built electric Mini in the UK

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by revorg, Feb 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

"BMW ist reportedly negotiating with the British Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) to receive a 75 million pound (about 84.5 million euros) grant in order to continue production of the electric Mini at its plant in Cowley on the outskirts of Oxford."

electrive.com

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't think £75,000 is enough money to bring the next Oxford MINI Electrics out any sooner than the rumored 2027 date, but maybe it will guarantee Plant Oxford can continue operations.

Will Oxford overhaul their production line to build the Zhangjiagang MINI Electrics and then flip the retrofit scenario to shoehorn an ICE into that car? Or will they continue building evolved versions of the current ICE cars on a separate production line? Or will 2026 be the last year for ICE MINIs?

It would seem that the 27% import tariff the US imposes on Chinese vehicles would be the main impetus for keeping Plant Oxford open and switching it to build MINIs from Chinese parts. But will the cost of maintaining that supply chain and the UK's greater labor costs overwhelm the benefit of the import tariff reduction?

Finally, will Zhangjiagang-built MINI Electrics cost less in the UK than Oxford-built cars? If so, then Plant Oxford will be building cars only for the US. Why not just build the US cars in the US and make them eligible for the federal EV tax credit? But the US wants SUVs, not MINIs, so the production numbers may not make financial sense.

revorg likes this.
  4. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Then again, they could build MINI’s at their new Mexican plant o_O

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Sure if you want to wait until 2027 for Neue Klasse.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Screwed either way then!

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

£75,000,000 ("75 million pound")

insightman likes this.
  9. insightman

Oops. Thanks for the correction. I was too involved with inserting the British pound sign to see my mistake. Still, not much money when it comes to retrofitting a modern factory as large as Plant Oxford.

10. teslarati97

I think it's some money to keep to extend the F56 BEV production for just a little bit longer into the 2024 model. That could imply the J01 isn't available until model year 2025.

The UK Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) is getting split into multiple departments as of Feb 7, 2023:
    Business & Trade
    Energy Security & Net Zero
    Science, Innovation & Technology

So we will see what happens later...

insightman likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. insightman

How popular would the hold-over F56 SE be in the US when people see the quicker, faster, lighter, longer-range MINI Electrics available to the rest of the world?

Will the UK get the Zhangjiagang-built MINI Electrics?

13. teslarati97

Well the British monarchy has ties to the German House of Hanover back in 1714 so I'd imagine they are closer to the Germans than the Middle Kingdom (Zhongguo 中國).

I think there is certainly a chance for the US market to get some of the limited edition 2024 F56 BEV models but the lack of tax credits makes it less desirable for individuals. It's a moot point for LLCs and the corporate tax write off easily exceeds $7,500 in personal tax credits.