BLUELINK - I think I found a solution to ongoing problem

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Dec 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I have had an issue with "REMOTE START / WINTER" for ever ... I would click on the START icon on that screen, get a notification that it was "SUCCESFULL" only to go to my car and find that the Car isn't on nor the HEATER. However when I Push the ON button to Start the car, the HEATER is then ON ! This is while my car is UNLOCKED in the Garage. Then yesterday I tried something. I first sent a REMOTE LOCK to the car. Got the "SUCCESSFUL" notice. THEN I clicked on the "REMOTE START / WINTER" ... low and behold, I went to my car 10 mins later and the Car was ON and the HEATER in full blast.

So I think the issue is that the car has to be in LOCKED mode for those remote start features to work. At least that's what I'm seeing right now... Time will tell if I'm onto something. (PS - you would THINK that the "REMOTE START / WINTER" would just LOCK the vehicle - if THAT is a requirement for it to work. But we're talking about BLUELINK after all.) :)

GeorgeS and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hope it works for you but experiencing BLUELINK as not being entirely dependable , my solution was a little different on my newer model: do not accept Hyundai BLUELINK services, do not enable telematic services. So far- no "hung commands and no dead 12 V battery.
    If I need to preheat, I simply walk out the door and turn on the car and climate control.;)
    You may have a point about the remote lock however, when I originally had the service I had a friend do the lock/unlock thing while I stood outside the car and monitored and the readings were different on the BLUELINK screen than were actually happening with the locks on the car. Never gave me any real confidence with the app.

mho likes this.
  4. The app seems to be randomly working for some people. Luckily I never had any major issues other than a couple hiccups.

I guess your right, don't buy a car and you don't have issues or even maintenance ...

It does make sense to not accept remote commands when the car is unlocked, because the car will think that somebody is actually in there. So it doesn't make sense turning the AC on on somebody that has the heater on.

Just wondering why you needed a friend to check on bluelink. It also works standing right next to the car ...

5. I had something similar happen to me recently. I would hit start and despite the app confirming that climate was started I would invariably come to a cold car. It typically only did this when the car sat unused for a period of time. Next I sat in the car and tried hitting start via Bluelink. I could tell the car would get the signal and try to start climate but would disengage pretty much right away. I thought great another electrical gremlin but then I thought back to all the previous gremelin and realized most of them were due to low voltage from the 12V battery, so I put the battery on charger and its been fine since. Not say this is your problem but it may be related.

6. Cord wasn't long enough from my desktop PC (no phone used the PC app)
    BTW love the car-don't care for the app

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Esprit1st likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

My 12v Battery has been just fine. I bought a small "tester" that plugs into the cigarette lighter, just to check it periodically (based on reported battery issues, as you mentioned). My 12v is constantly in the 14.5v range .. car running or not. Like ELECTRICEDDY - love the car, hate that stupid BLUELINK APP ..

9. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I bet you are the only person on this forum that does not own a cell phone:D

10. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

I’ve got another Bluelink issue, didn’t want to waste a new thread for it:

Now that I’ve had 196, I’m keeping it plugged in on Level 2 at home sometimes. I’ve gotten three different notifications that charging is complete, separated by at least an hour (I haven’t tracked the time, but will now).

Anyone else getting these?

11. I don't get notifications at one hour intervals but lately I get notifications every night when my scheduled charging is set to start. The car is always plugged in and never driven but it still initiates a charge and issues a notification each time though the car is fully topped up. It does it sometimes within seconds of the start time and others after 10 or 15 minutes. It's a weird quirk to crop up after nearly two years.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I am definitely seeing something different after that Recall 196 .. I always (2 times/month) charge to 80% at home, OFF PEAK (between 9 PM & 6 AM).

The ONLY notification I've ever gotten was the COMPLETION notice. However NOW, I get a 2nd notice about an hour after completion (1 hour 15 mins later) : "Your vehicle is not charging. Please try again. Ensure the vehicle ignition is OFF and gear shift is in PARK. "

I have never seen that before....

14. Ya, that's just wonky. I will make the same suggestion to you as Bluelink support will: uninstall and reinstall the app.

15. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Been there.. Done that .. :)