BlueLink has gone from bad to pathetic

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by Keith Smith, Jan 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

Apparently the director in charge of development for Hyundai "Blue Link" is not a capable executive. There are a plethora of issues when you move into the mobile arena, and it seems the developers behind "Blue Link" are unable to account for any of them. Given the amount of time they have had to create this application, I find this sad at best.

Starting with the mobile app, it is not compatible with all the listed devices in the PDF they point you to when support blows you off. The web page is abysmal, and seems to be non-functional on mobile devices. Lot's of content and advertising and horn tooting, very poor functionality.

I have attempted to run remote commands to my Kona EV about 6 times in the last year, the latest was this morning to get the climate going. It failed, and the presets I put in the web app were not available in the mobile app. In fact the commands seem to fail more often than they are successful. I owned a 2017 PHEV Sonata before the Kona, and the "Blue Link" success rate on that wasn't great, but was acceptable, assuming it would get better. Stunningly, it's gotten worse.

I really like the car itself but (wow) the application has gone from weak to useless; it is very sad. (NOTE: The car was outside in the driveway, and I live in the phoenix metro area, cell service is reasonable, and the firmware is up to date).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

You are pretty much correct. I can no longer get the Stop Charging button to work, nor any other function of the app, everything just fails after a minute or so.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

4. Ray C

Ray C New Member

Totally agree. Car sits in driveway, and can only connect occasionally. What a useless app.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

5. Antian

Antian New Member

I’m really upset at Hyundai for not fixing the “Bluelink nightmare” created by their last APP update. I believe the proper functioning of the Bluelink app is an integral part of the products sold to us by Hyundai. As customers, we have a reasonable expectation to fully enjoy all the futures of the App that were available at time of purchase. They have taken that away from us, without consent or notification, and I’m wondering if a Class Action Lawsuit could find Hyundai in a breach of contract and be liable for compensation. If you are affected, what is your opinion on this issue?

6. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

Hyundai is suffering from typical outsourcing stupidity with their application. A bunch of developers blew smoke up the rear end of someone hopelessly unqualified to run a team of fresh out of school prima donna's. These guys are not stupid, just misguided with ZERO real world experience to speak of. They know some tool from school to build applications, but have no idea how they really work under the covers. Then they convince their bosses who have no clue, and haven't ever written a line of code in their life, that they must have whatever the current bleeding edge tool/product to make it all work. This product then only works on bleeding edge hardware, and breaks every time there is some update to the tool.

What this should be is a simple HTML5 or Java interface to a simple backend API, and all the work should get done in the API layer that was created. What I'd bet you have is code compiled against bleeding edge google and apple onboard libraries, that use calls only available on the most up-to-date hardware. INTEL got huge by maintaining backward compatibility with it's prior hardware. The Hyundai idiots figure if you can afford a hyundai, you should just buy a newer phone.

Then because they are spending so much time re-vamping all their code every month to keep up with swapping out for the latest tools and libraries nothing ever gets improved or corrected. But I'd be willing to bet they have spent MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars on this sorry product. It's really kind of sad. I've dealt with this crap too many times, frankly it's just poor management decisions. I could write a better front and back end of the garbage they have in 6 months, and it would work on any reasonable version of android, or in a mobile browser. It's really sad.

7. To remove this ad click here.