Blind spot warning

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jvmoore1, Apr 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jvmoore1

jvmoore1 New Member

My wife is considering the PHEV as her next vehicle. She took a test drive the other day and loved everything about the car except that their is no blind spot warning for the driver side.
    She mentioned that there was a warning for the passenger side and that the camera comes on when you turn on your blinker.
    Is there a reason why there is no notification for the driver side?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

mho likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Since Honda has not put out any info on this all we can do is speculate. Others posters have mentioned it could be cost and have noted that the Clarity seems to use parts from other models.
    Who knows. I think we all agree that no blind spot monitoring, no rear cross traffic alert, and no heated steering wheel are glaring omissions but that overall the Clarity is head and shoulders better than anything currently sold. I have not seen a single poster that was so unhappy with their Clarity that they regretted their decision.
    I love mine-1,200 quiet, comfortable miles so far on only 2.2 gal of gas
    Here’s what I have found.
    -The curved outer part of the driver’s mirror partially makes up for the lack of a blind spot monitor. Point that out to your wife and you might get her on board.
    -Setting the back up camera to wide/fisheye partially makes up for not having rear cross traffic alert.
    -The average price for the touring model reported on the forum seems to be around $35,000 (varies with location$ supply/demand) and the cheapest Honda Care D80 extended warranty is $1,304 (hyannishondacare.com)
    Best wishes and hope you join the club.

jvmoore1 likes this.
  4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Agree with Kentucky Ken. If you adjust the left mirror as recommended by driver's ed teachers (beyond the visibility of your car body), the blind spot is virtually eliminated by the extension. I really like the camera. It's nice to actually see where the cars are (or are not) before committing to a lane change. Apparently, blind spot monitoring systems are not fool proof. They can fail if someone is coming up quick behind you or is changing from the lane over.

jvmoore1 likes this.
  5. bfd

bfd Active Member

It could also be a regulation of some sort - perhaps for the same reason that in the United States, regulations dictate that cars coming off of the assembly line must have a flat mirror on the driver's side.

As far as the camera on the passenger's side goes, it's lo-res. Seems like Honda must've had a warehouse full of the cheap lo-res cams that they needed to find a quick use for…

jvmoore1 likes this.