Best solution for leaving Kona without charging for about a month and a half

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by A.Y., Feb 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A.Y.

A.Y. New Member

Hi there forum!

I am a new EV driver and my ride is a Kona Electric from 2020. I have some upcoming trips out of the country and was wondering what is the best approach to leaving the car parked and not plugged for charging anywhere fore this period of time.

Does it make sense to disconnect the 12V battery to prevent it from getting drained by the system when the main battery drains completely? Or there is a reason not to do this?

Your insights would be highly appreciated!!!

Cheers,
    A

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I expect it'll be fine and assuming no other environmental circumstances you'll only lose about 1%. Mine was parked outside over 5 weeks of lockdown in approx 18°C ambient with no problems and I monitored it daily.

You could disconnect the 12V battery but I don't see that it's necessary and you can use your app to check on it. After sitting parked for over 60 hours the car will automatically charge it every day off the traction battery.

4. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

No need to do anything but best not leave the main battery over 80% for long periods

5. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

…and below 20% as well.

6. Just recently I left my Kona parked for just over six weeks and the battery level was around 60%. It was fine when I got back home and as was mentioned the battery level change was insignificant. I kept it in my garage for reference sake.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. A.Y.

A.Y. New Member

Thanks for all your feedback guys! I setup bluelink and will monitor the status to see how mine is behaving.

KiwiME likes this.
  9. AlexAnnecy

AlexAnnecy New Member

Might want to deactivate Winter Mode. Leave it at 65%, it can stay for months like that.

10. The winter mode setting is not relevant when the car is parked and not charging.

11. A.Y.

A.Y. New Member

Hey!

I have another question: how do you detach the 12V battery?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Just need a 10mm ratchet wrench or spanner wrench to loosen connector bolt on negative terminal and wiggle until connector comes off or you can do the same to the positive terminal if you like(try not to ground yourself with wrench if negative terminal is still attached), similar to the picture below.

[​IMG]

A.Y. likes this.
  14. A.Y.

A.Y. New Member

Thanks a lot!!!