Best SoC for short-term non-use

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Rick2112, Aug 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm wondering if there are any opinions on the best SoC (%) for a short period of non-use, say 3 or 4 days. From the other threads I have read, I gather that a 100% SoC would probably not be desirable, and a very low SoC would also not be very good. I am thinnking of this from a battery longevity perspective. But what would be optimal, 80%? 50% 30%?

Also, antoher question..... I read somewhere that, in terms of battery life maximization, it is better to charge using Level 1 than Level 2. I am planning on using Level 2 (16A) most of the time, and taking the Level 1 charger with me on moderate trips, to charge at destination. Will this shorten the battery life?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The most anybody has reported charging the Clarity is 14.4 kW from the wall. Assuming the inverter/charger is 86% efficient, then only ~12.4kW makes it to the battery which is the amount of the 17 kW battery total capacity we are allowed to use. And thats only ~73% of the total battery capacity. So Honda has set the battery management software (BMS) to have a total buffer of ~27% split between the top and bottom of the total capacity. So the BMS is set to prevent a total charge and a total discharge there by protecting the battery.
    Since there is already a buffer at the high end of the SOC, you will probably only gain a very little bit of battery life expectancy by not charging up to the full amount allowed by the BMS. So I think it’s safe to charge away in the Clarity and I only concern my self with trying not to charge when the battery is hotter like right after driving if I can avoid it. Also, over 3 days, you will find a neglible loss of SOC.

Rick2112 likes this.
  4. Many thanks for the advice.