Best EV range and efficiency cars

Discussion in 'General' started by R P, Oct 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I came across this from the Ioniq forum (not insideev) and found it very interesting, and surprising. WhatCar.com created a "real world" range and efficiency test and put 20 EV cars through it.
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/what-car-real-range-which-electric-car-can-go-farthest-in-the-real-world/n18159
    And here are the top 5, if you don't want to go through all of them.
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/what-car-real-range-which-electric-car-can-go-farthest-in-the-real-world/n18162
    Guess which car had the longest range,... yep, the Kona. I should not be totally surprised, as my son has an M3 LR RWD which is spec'd higher (EPA) than my Kona, yet, from actual driving my car seems to get better range. I have driven with him often in his M3, and it consistently uses up more GOM than kms driven. My Kona is the opposite, where it consistently uses up less GOM than actual driven. Both cars show 500+ kms on the GOM with a full charge. And there is a guy from Florida on the Kona insideev forum, that did over 350 miles (560 kms) of actual driving (and not hypermiling either, just had A/C off) with his Kona.

Really makes you wonder how manufacturers do the EPA tests. The Kona met the EPA spec while the Niro actually exceeded it (same battery and drive train as the Kona). Teslas and others were way below. Hyundai/Kia seem to be way more conservative with their specs. I noted also that the e-Tron did better than the M3 Std Range Plus which is spec'd higher.

Here is another interesting result and comparison of the efficiency of these cars, compiled from these test results. The Ioniq is best, and Kona is next best. I know Teslas have low drag coefficients, so their poor results may indicate a less efficient drive train.

The percentages below indicate how many more kWh's are needed for traveling the same distance, compared to the 3.9 mi/kWh of the Ioniq EV.
    3.9 mi/kWh <<< Hyundai Ioniq Electric 28kWh >>> Test Range 117 miles
    3.6 mi/kWh <<< Hyundai Kona Electric 39kWh >>> Test Range 158 miles
    3.6 mi/kWh <<< Hyundai Kona Electric 64kWh >>> Test Range 259 miles

+10%
    3.5 mi/kWh <<< Kia e-Niro 64kWh >>>> Test Range 253 miles
    3.3 mi/kWh <<< BMW i3 120Ah >>>>>> Test Range 165 miles
    3.3 mi/kWh <<< Volkswagen e-Golf >>> Test Range 117 miles

+20%
    3.1 mi/kWh <<< BMW i3 94Ah >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Test Range 121 miles
    3.1 mi/kWh <<< Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus >>> Test Range 181 miles

+30%
    2.9 mi/kWh <<< Renault Zoe R110 >>>>>>>>> Test Range 146 miles
    2.8 mi/kWh <<< Nissan Leaf >>>>>>>>>>>>> Test Range 128 miles
    2.8 mi/kWh <<< Tesla Model 3 Performance >>> Test Range 239 miles

+40%
    2.7 mi/kWh <<< Renault Zoe Q90 >>> Test Range 132 miles
    2.6 mi/kWh <<< Jaguar I-Pace >>>>> Test Range 253 miles

+60%
    2.4 mi/kWh <<< Tesla Model S 75D >>> Test Range 204 miles

+70%
    2.2 mi/kWh <<< Mercedes EQC >>>>>> Test Range 208 miles

+90%
    2.0 mi/kWh <<< Tesla Model X 100D >>> Test Range 233 miles
    2.0 mi/kWh <<< Audi E-tron >>>>>>>> Test Range 196 miles

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Not sure if they tested the cars with the heater on.. Otherwise, I can't believe the bad mi/kwh numbers.. I'm getting between 4.3 and 6 mi/kwh with my Kona and that includes AC use on my commute home from work. No mountains here in Florida and no cold weather.. My range is consistently over 300 miles total..

4. I think the whatcar.com "real world" tests are much tougher than the EPA (and other) tests that the manufacturers do. What's nice about this report and comparisons, is that the same testers did all the car tests using the same test criteria for each car. That is a way more fair and reliable than trusting each car manufacturer to do their own interpretation of the EPA test results.

FloridaSun likes this.