Be careful when you get your oil changed!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mark W, Oct 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I just had an issue with my Clarity that will be a different thread, but in looking under the car, I noticed that the metal plate that covers the bottom of the engine compartment was bent and most of the clips that hold it on were missing! The place that changed my oil last really botched the job. If you take it to a place that is not the dealer for an oil change, you might want to take a quick look under there after to make sure they put all of the clips back :(

neal adkins likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    neal adkins and JFon101231 like this.
  4. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Am I seeing things right? Those clips sell for $3-4 each?!! I seached ebay and this is what I came up with.

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It's possible... They are not "clips", but rather 1/4-turn twist lock screws.

6. IIRC, there are both fasteners which are something like quarter turn dzus fasteners as well as metal clips, which attach to the plastic undercover and receive the quarter turn fasteners. You can get both on eBay

I'd look under the car and see what you're actually missing. If it wasn't attached correctly you're almost certainly missing the quarter turn fasteners themselves but you may or may not be missing the clips

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I've stopped bringing my clarity to the dealer for oil changes. They keep overfilling it which is very harmful for hybrid engines. I just do it myself, which only takes about 20 minutes.

neal adkins likes this.
  9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Same here, I DIY my oil changes. Especially since it doesn't need one but once a year.

MichaelF and DaleL like this.
  10. jace

jace New Member

They're not replaced any better at my dealer. All maintenance done at my local Honda dealership for warranty purposes and I decided to change the oil myself for the first time after 3 years of ownership and found 2 of the screws holding the plate missing. They also overfilled oil and over torque my wheels with an impact gun every time which is why I decided to do it myself from now on. I'm also pretty sure the tire rotation pattern they used is not the recommended one for FWD vehicles. If anyone has a link to Ebay for the 1/4 turn twist lock screws please link it because I was unable to find it. I'll have to replace them myself because I doubt the dealership will own up to losing them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. D6B76E9F-8809-4A96-94F6-F3A0681A5234.jpeg These are the recommended tire rotation patterns shown in the manual. Which pattern do you believe your dealership is using?

13. jace

jace New Member

They might not have used any pattern and just switched 2 wheels they took off for the annual state inspection and said done. It couldn't have been the pattern in the top diagram because both my front and rear passenger side tires at the time had unique curb rashes from parallel parking making them easy to identify and my front passenger side tire was on the driver side after the rotation. I didn't question it at the time because I figured they were a Honda dealer so they should know more than me.

14. I think these are the right ones (but I'd need to check a parts chart to be sure). This auction is for both the 1/4 turn as well as the clips, but you may not need both

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402545534103

15. jace

jace New Member

exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Using the keywords in your listing, I was able to find individual pins for ~$5 each. More than I would like to pay but I'm happy just to find replacements.

16. TNGJ

TNGJ New Member

i replaced it with 2 mm steel plate, better protection and it got hole for oil change without removing it.

Attached Files:

17. Do you sell those?

JJim and JustAnotherPoorDriver like this.
  18. That's gorgeous. If you have a source for it, I'd also be interested...

19. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Since they have service records, and assuming they have done all your oil changes, it would be worth bringing up.

20. JJim

JJim Active Member

I have the same question

21. JJim

JJim Active Member

Can you explain why don't you make it flat like the original one? Does it fit perfectly? B_92931_339111_01~4.jpg

22. J Wong

J Wong New Member

Cheapest I can find is a set of six for $18.95
    Amazon.com: Engine Splash Shield Hardware Pins - 6 Piece - Compatible with 2017-2019 Honda Civic : Automotive

neal adkins likes this.