BC gas rebate = free charging for EV owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Mar 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. An actual Gas rebate of $110...and BC EV owners qualify:)
    "The Province is announcing that B.C.'s public auto insurer will provide a one-time relief rebate of $110 to customers to ease the financial burden of increased gas prices caused by the invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces.

This rebate will total more than $395 million and comes at time when the global increase in gas prices and other cost pressures have affected day-to-day life for British Columbians."

This from Vancouver Sun (details why EV owners also get the rebate)"

"The insurance corporation was explaining why the rebate would also be provided to owners of electric vehicles, who are of course oblivious to what is happening at the pump.
    While drivers of electric vehicles aren’t impacted by rising gas prices, there have been other cost pressures in recent months for all British Columbians,” said ICBC.
    Electric vehicle owners have also contributed to our strong financial position through their insurance premiums.
    Our goal with this rebate is to provide financial relief to the largest number of customers as possible.”
    Finally this one from VEVA:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kirk and BC-Doc like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's wild. They should just give us another rebate (don't call it a gas rebate), like last year, because of all these years of ripping us off with highest in North America car insurance premiums. Better yet, get rid of ICBC altogether and we will save even more.

But this "gas rebate" through ICBC does beg some questions. When will it happen? And how will it be prorated, if you sell your car?

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Should receive the full benefit...as the article states:
    "Most ICBC customers with a basic auto insurance policy during the month of February will be eligible for the $110 relief rebate. Most commercial customers will receive a rebate of $165 because they generally incur higher expenses.
    Eligible ICBC customers can expect to receive their rebate in May if they are registered for direct deposit with ICBC or as a refund to their credit card. All other customers will receive cheques in June."
    If you sell your EV in March it shouldn't have any other affect other than paying more/km driven;)

5. So as long as it was registered in Feb, I should get the rebate? My Kona is sold, I think, unless a cheque bounces. I will find out at the end of next week, as that is how long the bank said it will take to clear the cheque. Transfer of ownership (and cancellation of my insurance) will happen on Apr 4th if all goes well.

6. That seems to be the way it appears. Wouldn't hurt to confirm that with ICBC.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Eddy, I think you’re EV mileage figures are a bit low for those of us charging for free at the airport (shhhh, don’t tell ).

As for the refund I think you’ve described it accurately regarding having sold a vehicle or taken it off the road. That’s how the three previous recent rebates worked.

And, RP, the myth about insurance would be cheaper without ICBC has been debunked a number of times. Still fun to lump them in with banks, governments and other big entities and complain though.

electriceddy and Kirk like this.
  9. I guess it depends on who is doing the "debunking". Here are some facts.
    https://www.canadianunderwriter.ca/earnings-ratings/canadian-drivers-pay-least-auto-insurance-1004134702/
    They are trying to reform it now, but too little too late, IMO. I have for a long time got my optional collision and extended liability insurance from other providers, and they have been way cheaper than ICBC.

10. Too complex to get into typing on my phone - and likely off topic for an EV forum, so last comment here from me, but that article was from 2018, while BC was the last full-tort jurisdiction in Canada. So an apples/oranges comparison with other provinces. Totally different results now with last year’s changes.

Kirk likes this.
  11. Like I said they have finally seen the light and are reforming. But we are still the highest in Canada.
    https://www.arcinsurance.ca/blog/average-car-insurance-rates-across-canadian-provinces/

And for the many past years we were ripped off by allowing the lawyers to get rich, fraudsters to flourish, and bad drivers, incl new young drivers, not paying their fair share. We have friends and family in other provinces and would always envy them when I hear what they pay for their insurance.

But you're right, getting off topic here, and probably not appropriate for this forum.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. rpark

rpark Member

Sorry off topic... Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) the province's license issuer is giving a $100 rebate to each licensed vehicle. This almost covers the $150 surcharge on each electric vehicle that was imposed this year.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. About time...a smart decision to include EVs. A rare case of take form one hand then give with the other;)

BC-Doc likes this.
  15. Well it was good while it lasted
    Payment Required
    $0.22/minute :(

16. Yup - it was supposed to start costing last year, so no complaints. Got someone coming in a couple weeks to advise on roof solar panels. Not exactly free, but kinda sorta related?