Battery Warranty and Brain-Dead Hyundai Customer Service (rant)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, Jul 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. What is the warranty coverage on the high voltage battery?

You'd expect the warranty booklet to explain that, right? So here's the page covering the Hybrid, Plug-In Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Systems for the 2020 Kona:
    Battery Warranty.png
    Pretty clear, huh? "Loss of Battery capacity ... is covered not to degrade more than 70% of the original battery capacity ..."

And then under "WHAT IS NOT COVERED," "Loss of battery energy or power over time ... is NOT covered ..."

Well, it probably is covered because California law requires it. But what does "not to degrade more than 70% of the original battery capacity" mean? Does it mean that not more than 70% of capacity will be lost? Or not to degrade below 70% of original capacity?

Hoping to get an explanation, I emailed Hyundai Customer Care.

Their response, in part:

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America regarding your 2020 Hyundai Kona Electric’s battery warranty. Hyundai is proud to offer America’s best warranty to our customers.

Thank you for your inquiry on the warranty coverage for the hybrid battery in your vehicle. ... All original owners of 2012 and newer model year hybrids enjoy warranty coverage for defects in workmanship or materials for the lifetime of the vehicle. ...

The Hybrid Battery is part of the Powertrain Limited Warranty. What is covered is defects in factory workmanship or materials."

OK, except that I asked them about an EV, not a hybrid. And 2020s don't have a lifetime battery warranty. And they didn't address loss of battery capacity, just manufacturing defects. So I wrote back:

Thanks for your reply, which DID NOT ANSWER my two specific questions:

1) Does the warranty cover loss of battery capacity or power over time due to battery usage? The warranty booklet says two different things.

2) Does the warranty cover degradation below 70% of original capacity, or degradation (loss) of 70% of capacity? The wording in the warranty booklet is unclear.

And their answer, in part:

Only authorized Hyundai dealerships can inspect and diagnosed if the repairs in question are covered under warranty. We here at Hyundai Customer Care Center are not able to inspect and diagnose to see if repairs are covered under warranty.

Fast chargers do not damage the vehicle. Overtime with constant use there could be some battery degradation.

As an original owner warranty coverage for defects in workmanship or materials for the lifetime of the vehicle' battery.

Oops - still didn't quite answer the question. So I wrote back:

YOU STILL DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS. I am asking you to explain what the warranty says, not to judge a specific claim.

The attached page says TWO DIFFERENT THINGS in the highlighted paragraphs. Does the warranty cover loss of battery capacity or power over time due to battery usage? One place says it does, the other says it does not.

And their reply, in part:

We're sorry that we're not able to adequately answer your questions about your battery. That's unfortunate. We would be more than happy to point you in the direction of where you can get the best assistance.

We recommend you call or visit your local Hyundai dealership.

Good idea! I'll take the defective page from the warranty booklet right down to Hilltop Hyundai, and see if the Service Advisor can diagnose the problem.

Fastnf likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

and yea, good luck dealing with HILLTOP HYUNDAI .. They were a total and useless waste of my (driving) time when I was attempting to purchase mine. They put the STEAL in $Tealership .. :-(

Toolworker likes this.
  4. Couldn't agree more - about the sales side. Team Hyundai in Vallejo was much more helpful with test drives, although they lost the sale because they wanted above MSRP and wouldn't deal by email.

Service was the reverse. The Team service advisor was never at her desk and didn't return calls or answer emails. Nallely at Hilltop was helpful over the phone and in person.

But I'm still not going to ask her to diagnose the warranty booklet.

5. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I would love to know the answer to this too.. I have a 2019 with "unlimited" warranty.. whatever that means. :)

6. I am almost certain the answer is that your battery is covered for reduced capacity below 70% of original capacity, and you have the lifetime warranty (for the original owner, IIRC).

I am just having a struggle getting Hyundai to confirm that in writing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I never communicated with them via e-mail. I did call them about the 2019 Warranty and I asked a specific question: What would happen if my capacity is 65% of the original capacity due to degradation. Would I get a replacement battery.. The first person I talked to did not know. He said that he was going to call his supervisor to get me that information.. After about 10 minutes on hold, the person I talked to confirmed that I would get a replacement battery in that scenario.. I wish that I had it in an e-mail. Anyways, I don't see any issue with the battery so far.. 32k miles and no noticeable degradation..

Toolworker likes this.
  9. RandallScott

RandallScott New Member

I appreciate those with the tenacity to seize upon an issue and doggedly pursue the manufacturer until they squeal for mercy and publish information they would probably keep in a desk drawer somewhere.
    Having said that, I tend to reside in the camp of the BlueKonaEV who is more about the overall usability of the Kona EV. Ten years ago nobody had a handle on how large capacity, high-density, daily-driven and charged EV batteries would hold up when electric cars moved from the periphery and into the mainstream of daily use where owners want the unique advantages of an EV, but also need a car they can drive mercilessly, rain or shine, hot or cold. By now we have some data to rely on such as how Nissan's air-cooled packs have shown high levels of capacity loss, while Tesla's liquid-cooled batteries seem to retain capacity for years longer than was feared they would.
    I've got around 25K on my Kona EV and the battery seems to deliver the same range as it did new. All theories aside as to whether Hyundai installed a super-sized battery to combat capacity loss aside, it the past 25K miles are any indication, the liquid-cooled battery used in the Kona EV will very likely exceed 100,000 miles with greater than 70% capacity - much greater (I hope). So I choose to enjoy the driving experience and not worry about when that expensive pack will fail.

Esprit1st, Wildeyed and Fastnf like this.
  10. In their fifth reply in this dialogue, they finally addressed my question.

However, their answer is still "Ask the dealer" to explain the warranty.

"We always appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers and apologize for your concerns regarding the verbiage of the battery warranty. We are happy to provide information.

... We are unable to provide the information you are requesting regarding the wording of the warranty in the manual, as such, we recommend speaking with the Service Department of your local Hyundai dealership. They determine warranty and therefore are in the best position to address your inquiry."
    Maybe I should bring the warranty booklet in and ask the service department to fix it. The booklet came with the car and is obviously defective in manufacture, so it should be covered under warranty. I'll ask Hyundai.

Fastnf likes this.