Battery use

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by Lavern, Jan 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lavern

Lavern New Member

I was asked if you could use the battery of Mach-E as a generator for the home if you lose power. Is this true?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You can hook an inverter to the 12 volt battery and put the car in run mode or utility mode and get about 1 kilowat of power. I have done this with my Hyundai Kona electric and powered my house during power outages. I am sure it could be done with a Mach E as well. To my knowledge there is no plug receptacle on the Mach E that you can plug directly into and nothing is shown in the manual.

Below is a link to a thread showing how EV's (in particualr a Kona ) can be connected for back up power.

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/emergency-battery-backup-utility-mode.8589/page-3#post-118790

4. BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB

BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB New Member

How about something like this for my Mach E?

DEWALT DXAEPI140 Power Inverter 140W Car Converter: 12V DC to 120V AC Power Outlet with Dual 3.1A USB Ports
    by Amazon.com
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y549WB9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_80Y1NE30GPP2AGTV89BY

5. 140 watts will work for charging a phone or lap top, it could run a fan or a single light but it won't work for powering a house if you lose power. For that you would need at least 1000 watts min. Also it is a modified sine wave so it won't power computer equipment other than charging batteries.

6. BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB

BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB New Member

@Fastnf Thank you for your fast and detailed reply. What is I wanted to power would bit more than a cell phone charger and one small light. Maybe power a TV, few LED lights and a small refrigerator? What would be reasonable? I see the new F150 Lightning advertisements with all kinds if stuff "plugged in". Can this be replicated on my Mach-E or will Ford add such a feature down the road? Thanks again! Screenshot 2021-09-23 142914.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The F150 shown has 9.6kw (9600 watts) and is pure sine wave inverter (not cheap). It 65 time larger than the Dewalt. For what you want you probably need at least 800 watts and it would need to be connected directly to the positive post of the battery and the ground on the car. Your not going to get 800 watts out of a dash socket. 800 watts from 12 volts is 68 amps. Your going to need 4 gauge wire to connect everything. It can be done but I would recommend you know what your doing before trying it. There are a number of threads on the form that cover the details

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Connecting to the 12 volt battery is not going to get you much power. And trying to pull high load off the low voltage battery may cause damage to the power management system. Haven't been able to find any spec's on the low voltage battery charging capacity yet.