battery thermal management question

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by justin pogge, Sep 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. justin pogge

justin pogge New Member

We just recently purchased a 2020 Niro EV, upgrading from a gen 2 Chevy Volt. GM recommended keeping the Volt plugged in at home even after fully charging because it will cycle battery heating or cooling to maintain optimal battery temperature. This was great because we do not have a garage and living in North Florida, the car would get pretty hot in the summer.
    I am wondering if the Niro's battery management system runs when the car is off? or plugged in but not charging? I read through the manual and searched around the forums with no luck.

currently, I have my level 2 charging set to max out at 70 percent for normal use. would be nice to know that the batteries are not getting toasted in the Florida heat.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My understanding is that the Bolt is far more aggressive at battery pack temperature management than the Hyundai/Kia EVs. You're right, there's no guidance and very little data to rely on but if cooling was needed I believe the Niro would do that plugged in or not.

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I have left my Niro plugged in in the winter in NE but never have any evidence that it did anything

5. cwerdna

cwerdna New Member

OP said Volt, which is different than a Bolt.

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/battery-conditioning.33279/#post-512173 were observations made about Bolt's battery thermal management. For the OP, Google makes for a good unit converter (e.g. Google for 27 c in f). 27 C = 80.6 F

IIRC, GM is also pretty vague in its owner's manuals for Bolt on this.

I can't speak to gen 2 Volt's parameters/observations on this.