Battery recall in Florida?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by 1st-KonaEV-in-FL, Sep 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Our Hyundai Kona recall 200 to replace the high-voltage battery was scheduled for a local dealer today September 9th 2021. This did not go so well as after we met with the adviser at 8 a.m. around noon they informed us that they were not certified to work on electric vehicles and did not have the necessary equipment and experience to replace the battery. :mad:
    Question has anyone in Florida successfully had their battery replaced at Florida Hyundai dealership?
    Thx

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Woah. Waitaminit. Are you saying that Hyundai shipped a battery to a dealer that had not requested it and was neither prepared nor competent to actually replace it?

4. Do you actually care, you no longer own the car (at least my understanding), it's now Hyundai's problem.
    Unless you are thinking of buying it back?

5. No, we still own the Kona, original owners new February 2019, you may be confused with another owner.
    Hyundai north America scheduled us at this dealership in July, 2021, for today 8am September 9, 2021.
    The dealer just confirmed, I guess what was needed, and says they don't have the special lift & other equipment, nor are they certified to work on fully electric vehicles. They do not have or have been shipped any battery, yet.
    They said our Kona was the first one they have ever seen.
    Our vehicle is a Hyundai product, just like any other and should be supported by any dealership.
    We thought maybe someone here may have had their battery replaced somewhere in Florida.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

That was pretty lame on their part, did they really fail to research what they were getting into?

_H*

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes, this was surprising to us to since as I told the service tech this appointment was made back in July to have the battery replaced in September. He's proceeded to show me the complicated service tech bulletin 21-EE-002h, saying they don't have the three tools and the specialty training to complete this urgent recall. So I guess I have to follow up with Hyundai corporate again and may may be the national government recall since I can't seem to get this done here in Florida. By the way does anyone have a copy or pdf version of this Tech bulletin would be interesting to see that. Thanks, Tim
    Anyone have a copy of service tech bulletin 21-EE-002h ?

9. Maybe this will assist.

Attached Files:

Domenick and 1st-KonaEV-in-FL like this.
    • Thanks

NS KONA Elec likes this.
  10. Well, finally...

Found a local Florida Hyundai dealership that has been approved , and has done 2-3 recall 200x battery recalls on Kona EV.

@universal-hyundai

If you are in Central Florida, this Hyundai dealership could be an option for your Kona EV services.
    Was a very smooth experience, far different than any other Hyundai dealership we have been to.

We arrived with a scheduled appointment, they had everything ready, we signed for a loaner car, and were on our way, (of course it is not an EV, but it is a Kona:
    20210922_162141.jpg
    20210922_162207.jpg
    Hopefully all goes well, and we get our EV back very soon.

We love our Hyundai Kona EV, and if this battery issue gets resolved, we will again enjoy it as we did when it was first shipped down to us.

Universal Hyundai

12801 S Orange Blossom Trail • Orlando, FL 32837

Phone Numbers:

Main:321-418-6351
    Main: Phone NumberSales:321-418-6351Sales:
    Phone NumberService:321-218-3703Service:
    Phone NumberParts:407 545-8495Parts: Phone Number
    Sales Hours:Mon - Sat9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
    Sun11:00 AM - 7:00 PM
    Service Hours:Mon - Fri7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
    Sat7:00 AM - 4:00 PM
    SunClosed