Battery Preheating

Discussion in 'General' started by papab, May 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. papab

papab Member

I had the impression that Tesla's can preheat their battery before pulling into a DC fast charger in order to reduce charging time. This seems like a required feature, but I'm learning that many BEV's can't do that. What BEVs can preheat, and which one's can't? What's the charge time penalty in cold weather?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My MINI Cooper SE does not have battery preheating, and when my car got cold-soaked overnight in -25 ºF temperatures two winters ago my DC fast charge the next day took about an extra 15 minutes to warm the batteries before they charged at a normal rate.

Generally in winter I don't see any issues with slower charging on super cold winter days after being parked outdoors for 8 hours, but my SE is usually plugged into a charger overnight. On the coldest winter days I'll do a 30-minute level 2 charge mid-day to keep the batteries from getting too cold.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Coldgate can be solved by offering 2+ years of free 30 minute DC fast charging every 60 minutes to new vehicles. This will eliminate the cost anxiety for many EV drivers and the need for optimizing cold weather DC fast charging. Many of the premium EVs will have battery preconditioning so you will have to see what your budget is.

On a more serious basis, most people will charge at home with Level 2.