Battery preconditioning really works

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Christopher Beer, Mar 8, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Christopher Beer

Christopher Beer New Member

I just bought a 2024 Ioniq 5 last Saturday (March 2nd, 2024). I don't have an outlet for level 2 charging installed yet (I am waiting for warmer weather, New Hampshire USA is still pretty cold in March). So will be relying on the 2-years of free charging from Electrify America for a couple of months.

I wanted to know how much of an impact preconditioning the battery would have on charging speed, since I would not typically activate the navigation for such a short trip. The trip planner activates the preconditioning when you point it to a charging location; I don't know of any other way to start battery preconditioning in the Ioniq 5 (if someone does, please share).

So on Thursday afternoon, I drove over to use the EA chargers. The closest EA 350 kW chargers are about 9 miles away. I charged and stayed with the car to monitored the charge rate. The initial charge rate was about 45 kW, and it took almost 10 minutes for it to ramp up to a max of 107 kW. In total, it took 22 minutes to add 24 kWh to the battery. Then on Friday afternoon, I drove over using the navigation to precondition the battery and plugged into the exact same charger. The initial charge rate was over 100 kW and it took less than a minute to ramp up to 138 kW. It took 11 minutes for 22 kWh. It stopped then, because I had set the max charge level to 80% to avoid the well know charge rate drop above 80%.

I am pretty sure that a 9 mile trip isn't enough to fully precondition the battery, but even that short trip had a huge impact on charging speed. So I guess I will be using the onboard navigation from now on when I head over to use the DC fast chargers.

electriceddy and Sandroad like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.