Battery Efficiency/Range Impressions

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by John Lumsden, Aug 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It is now over fourteen weeks since the battery was replaced in the 2018 built car and twelve weeks since the 2021 one was put on the road. I had wondered if there would be a change in efficiency and range between the original battery from 2018 and its replacement assembled in late 2020, and whether the battery in the newer car performed differently. The reason for wondering was because the Hyundai claimed range has gone up, being attributed to different tyres and some underbody aerodynamic modifications.
    I record the monthly performance on FliptheFleet in NZ so have records to refer to for distance driven, electrical efficiency, and so on. Without a lot of analysis, my impression is that the three batteries perform similarly, and that the biggest impact is the ambient temperature. The consumption of both cars varies between 14 and 16kWh/100kms and there is a clear increase as the weather gets colder.
    Both cars are used to visit family which is a 170km round-trip journey and I charge back up to 90% on return. The range shown after recharging is less than 5kms between the cars, and varies between 395 and 405 kms.
    So my conclusion is that the performance of the original, replacement, and 2021 fitted batteries is pretty well the same, and that the biggest impact on efficiency is the outside air temperature, and even that is not a lot, (though here it doesn't generally get colder than 5C and rarely hotter than 25C.)
    I realise that this is not a rigorous analysis, (and I'm not inclined to do one) so it's my 'roughly right' impression.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

And just maybe, seeing it is currently winter in NZ, a signifIcant chunk of that increased consumption isn't down to lower temperatures having a direct impact on the traction battery, rather it is the indirect consequence of keeping warm in the cabin during your journey?

John Lumsden likes this.