Battery charge levels fluctuate

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Valente, May 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Valente

Valente Active Member

When I first got my Clarity in January I would charge the battery and the next day the battery at fully charged 100% would always be around 55 miles. I was thrilled. Then all of a sudden a few days ago it dropped to 43 miles fully charged. This has happened over the last 3 charges. Have no idea what happened. The weather here in Palm Springs hasn't changed much since I bought the car 3 months ago. Average temps are around 90 in the day and 75 at night. The only thing that has changed was I drove the car and drained the battery to zero level. After that happened this is when the problem started. Has anyone else had this weird fluctuation?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bfd

bfd Active Member

It is getting hotter there. Just wait until tomorrow. LOL. Heat is one variable.

Another variable is that the estimated range now has more data - and you're getting a more realistic read of the range. Remember, it's just an estimate in the first place. The more EV you drive, the better the estimate will become (whether you like that estimate or not is another matter).
    My EV estimate is pretty close to the actual range that I observe - at about 45 miles. That seems reasonable to me. I can sometimes get over 50 miles before I run out of EV, but it's not often that happens. The least I've ever had was 39 (even though the range started out saying 48), but I'm positive that was because I was on the freeway - at relatively high speed, and little or no regeneration.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Did anything else change like nighttime driving w lights on or more a/c usage or more/higher speeds?

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

As far as I have come to believe the Clarity charge range depends on an algorithm that includes ambient temperature at the time of charging, and personal driving habits or route variations. The car will consider how much energy it took since the last recharge and factor that into the next estimate.
    So variations in acceleration, braking, regen, hills, ambient temperature, weight differences due to added cargo or people will all have an impact on the estimate.

6. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Driving to zero can help it learn the real SoC range that is available, it could cause it to calculate your range differently, but I doubt there is a real change in range.

Heavier AC usage or higher speeds could cause it to drop. The car will run the AC to cool the battery even if you aren't using it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Valente

Valente Active Member

This is very strange. All of a sudden my charge mileage at 100% went up back up to 57 miles. Nothing has changed. Not my driving habits or weather. Go figure. My Clarity sure has a mind of it's own.