Basic range question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by NevadaTech, Jul 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NevadaTech

NevadaTech New Member

Hello, I've searched about and have not found a real answer. Please redirect me if you can quote a source...

What's the basic range on a Kona EV after 2-3 yrs. Take for granted about 25K miles on it, average temp/charging/etc. I'm looking to buy a 2019-2021 and have concerns that the battery will only charge to 70% (or whatever) and my range expectation should be 150 miles/charge. (or whatever). I live in the southwest US so no concerns about harsh winters.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2013 Leaf which charges to 79% with 44K miles and a stated range of 53 miles.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

FWIW, I have a 2020 Ultimate. Bought it brand new Dec 2019. My initial charging to 100% (the couple times I did it in 2020) got me 300 & 310 miles on a charge. In 2021 I charged to 100% once and got 291 miles. in 2022, charged once to 100% and got 278 .. And once again in 2023, got 244 miles.

I had a concern about these droppings in GOM ... I keep being told (here) it's all about driving habits. I don't drive much at all - mostly locally, around town. And I'm not lead foot at all. The few times I did charge to 100% (see above) were for longer road trips. Otherwise I only charge to 90% once a month. I have 12,400 miles on my car.

Lastly, I have a OBD device that I plug in every so often to see what my individual battery cells are reporting. All my cells at 100% charge are still reporting 4.16 (I think that's volts) .. so the cells don't seem to be deteriorating over the last 3.5 years. But the GOM definitely seems to be going down. (GOM = Guess O Meter, based on driving habits).

edit: PS, I'm in the SF BAY AREA. we don't get harsh winter here, but occasional summer heat.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  4. I have owned 2 Gen 1 Leafs ( 2012 - 24 kWh and 2016 - 40 kWh), in addition I owned a 2019 Kona EV and presently drive a 2021 Kona EV.
    The Leafs (as you are aware) packs degrade at a rate ~4-5% per year, both my Konas shown no sign of degradation and at present GOM displays over 500 kM. ( same as new with ~ 20,000 kM on the odo) Consumption of the 4 vehicles is relatively close ~ 150 wH/kM, the torque favors the Kona EV.
    A good sit to compare (just about all EVs) is here just remember it is a European site so level 2 charging specs may be different.
    If you run Leafspy presently, there are OBD dongle diagnostics available for Kona EV, which may not be a bad investment particularly purchasing used.
    Just do a search on this forum to find one that appeals to you.

5. Keep in mind that most 2019 examples will have a new battery fitted due to a major recall, easily identified, see image below. According to recent prospective-owner inquiries on reddit.com/r/KonaEV/, some that were "repurchased" by Hyundai are now being resold at bargain prices but with a salvage title or whatever the equivalent is in your region.

Also there is a current TSB/recall regarding all examples with blue coolant. The change was made mid-2019 from green (or pink). This is not a great concern in the big picture but the work will need to be done if it hasn't already.

The lowest SoH for a Kona that I've seen reported so far is 90% where most are 92-100%. This is from the OBD data but I've not seen anyone actually document a related loss of range.

IMG_2716.jpeg

6. I have not noticed an significant degradation of range on my 2019 kona. It had about 18k miles on it when the battery was replaced. The battery was replaced last December but I was still seeing over 250 miles on a full charge

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NevadaTech

NevadaTech New Member

Thanks to all, with me coming from a Leaf my perspective is different. Granted, my Leaf is now 10yrs old.

9. Here is one from Reddit
    22MY with 28,000 km
    [​IMG]

10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Update from my previous reply - Mine (2020 Ultimate) did NOT have the battery replaced ... It went in for inspection and was deemed not eligible. So my stats are from the original battery (dated Sept 2019).