Autopilot accident

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Nov 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hi,

A multi-part series, I've posted it in a technically oriented forum that is remarkably free of non-technical, ad hominem follow-up postings. I''ll coordinate this posts with the moderators:
    One option is to replicate those posts here but after the edit 'time-out', the thread can rapidly grow versus improving a poor posting. By the same token, I appreciate not having to worry about someone going back a day or so later and completely changing the post. It is a trade-off.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just curious, Bob, did you have to pay for repairs, or did you claim warranty (autopilot error), or insurance? Not sure what it would cost, but assume those wheels are not cheap.

4. bwilson4web

I’m using this to upgrade the wheels and tires. Neither insurance nor warranty, pay now instead of letting the insurance bleed us in future premiums.

I’m using our backup vehicle, a BMW i3, for now. When the service center has the part, we’ll drive it up and leave it till done.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  5. I'm still not clear what really happened, although I watched your vid. Did the car make an unexpected turn on you? Were you not holding the wheel? I thought autopilot still requires hands on the wheel, even if just lightly.

I know with my son's M3, it sometimes tries to take a wrong turn (usually when approaching a ramp or merge), but he easily corrects it before anything bad can happen.

6. bwilson4web

I was on AutoPilot and saw a car come to a stop at an intersection ahead. But sometimes AutoPilot responds to a stopped object too close for comfort. So I touched the brake which turns off dynamic cruise control and auto-steer. Then the stopped car, turned off so I 'double tapped' which turns on AutoPilot: dynamic cruise control came on but auto-steer did not. Auto-steer really needs to see distinct lane lines but I was passing through the intersection which did not have the lane lines needed and I failed to notice it. My own fault, I'd turned down the audio alarms a couple of days earlier to deal with some false alarms.

Going down the road, the car drifted right and hit a curb which was a surprise. Regardless, the car continued to be controllable and I drove it home. Any other car would have damaged the rims and blown the tires. If you're planning to run over a curb or deep pothole, be sure you're driving a Tesla Model 3 ... a dang tank!

My understanding is full auto self driving won't kick off auto-steer if you apply the brake. We'll see.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just read your link,... wow, what an ordeal for just hitting a curb. So is is it totally fixed now, and driving like new, no pulls, noises, etc at all speeds and turns?

What is the total cost to you for the repairs (new rims, tools, everything)...? Or are you claiming insurance?

9. bwilson4web

• $1,000 for a pair of Tire Rack wheels and tires
    • $150 for final alignment
    • A dozen donuts twice (tipping the techs)
    I really like the Tire Rack wheels and tires.

Sanity test drive, I can’t find any problems. I still need to do a hub temperature and possibly a dial micrometer test.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  10. That's pretty cheap. I thought I read that you got some other components, from Ebay?

Hope it is all good now. And I can just imagine what Tesla would have charged you if you had taken it first to them to have fixed. Although, you might have made a case that the autopilot software deficiencies caused the accident, and they should fix for free.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. bwilson4web

I had gotten some spacers but the seller has agreed to take them back. So add $10 for shipping return?

There is a mistaken belief that only a certified technician can work on today’s modern cars. Hopefully I’ve punctured that narrative.

It is a dang car and suspensions are so 19th (1800s) technology. Do it yourself and enjoy the accomplishment.

Bob Wilson