Auto park?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by 714hello, Jun 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 714hello

714hello Member

Maybe I am still new with my clarity but I always have to look down to find the park button. If I don't I sometimes hit the sport button. But by accident I hit the start button to shut down the car and that seems to put the car automatically in park mode before shutting down. Do you see anything wrong by doing this?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

It's fine to do that. It's documented in the manual. Just don't forget to also engage the parking brake.

714hello likes this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I only use the parking brake on a hill. Automatic park is sufficient otherwise.

5. John Lilly

John Lilly Member

The parking brake is set automatically when the car is shut down.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

6. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

Hmm, I haven’t noticed that to be the case on my Clarity.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I think the transmission is locked and the "P" button at the top of the panel lights up. I don't think the emergency brake is automatically applied.

9. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Agree. The parking brake has a dedicated light and you can hear it activate. It does not do this automatically as part of car shutdown. Is there a Settings change that could change this default behavior? I haven't found that.

10. 714hello

714hello Member

The auto emergency brakes doesn't go on all the time. It seems to activate when you are on an incline.

11. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

From the manual:

In the following situations, the parking brake
    automatically operates.
    • When the vehicle stops more than 10 minutes while ACC with LSF is activated.
    • When the driver’s seat belt is unfastened while your vehicle is stopped automatically by ACC with LSF.
    • When the power system is turned off while ACC with LSF is activated.
    • When the vehicle stops with the automatic brake hold system activated for more than 10 minutes.
    • When the driver’s seat belt is unfastened while your vehicle is stopped and brake hold is applied.
    • When the power system is turned off while brake hold is applied.
    • When there is a problem with the Brake Hold System.
    If the parking brake cannot be released automatically, release it manually.

Also note it requires the 12 volt battery to be charged.

Dreamgt and 714hello like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jlilly

jlilly New Member

I was sure I'd seen the Parking Brake light come on when turning the car off, and think Viking79's excerpt explains it. Has to do with Brake Hold, which I use frequently.

Thanks for the research.

jdonalds likes this.
  14. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

I also found it interesting that if you are driving at speed and pull the parking brake it uses the normal electric brake assist system to engage all 4 wheels until stopped, then engages parking brake. No e-brake sliding ;)

15. 714hello

714hello Member

@Viking, thanks, I will have to try that, lol. Hate it when I'm clicking and clicking on lever and it keeps on sliding.. there should be another "click" for stop now.