Article on Waymo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by marshall, Oct 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Doesn't sound too good me. After almost 10 years, still can't do many basic driving maneuvers very well. And in a very controlled test environment. How could it ever handle ordinary roads and streets with their almost infinite possibilities of unexpected road and weather conditions.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Meanwhile, Tesla Full Self Driving has a waiting list of pre-paid customers chomping at the bit. I'm one of them. One poll shows:
    • 17.9% (17) have FSD
    • 82.1% (78) waiting on FSD
    Unlike Waymo, FSD is open-road both urban and highway. It is available to just about any Tesla since 2019, possibly earlier.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  5. We actually don't have true FSD (no driver in the car) with Tesla yet, so no data to asses yet.

6. bwilson4web

I'll let you know.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hope you don't hit a curb like last time. Be careful...

9. bwilson4web

Me too.

Bob Wilson

10. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

11. bwilson4web

At one time, AutoPilot used only Google Map for speed limits. Like you, it was all but impossible to update and I never was able to get the default, neighborhood speed limit of 25 mph to work. After AutoPilot added reading speed signs and speed setting Traffic Aware Cruise Control, the local problems were resolved.

There are Google Map problems like trying to navigate to the Astro Dog Park that wants to drive over a creek that has no bridge. So we use the navigation system as a 'suggestion' and things work better. Also, a recent subdivision added a new route to our home. The Tesla now shows the short road but navigation won't automatically use it. Once I manually drive over the short segment, no problem.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.