Apr 2021 Software Update removes widgets, WTF?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by scoutboy, Jun 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. scoutboy

scoutboy New Member

I purchsed my 2020 Kia Niro EV EX Prem May of 2020. I love the car and have grown accustomed to the apps and menus of the head unit. I recently updated my maps to the Apr 2021 software update. I skipped the Nov 2020 update not realizing that it was a blessing. I soon realized I was screwed once the update was complete and I found that the 3 widgets of my old home screen had been replaced by a purplish nightmare of a mashup of maps(?), radio/media and Date and Time. I not a big fan of the new layout and color scheme, however my biggest regret is losing the widgets. Now I have to switch to another screen like radio or media and swipe left to get a small widget that shows by battery condition. I consider this update a serious downgrade. I believe this is a campaign to role this interface out to all of the Kia cars. I have written my letters of complaint to Mapnsoft and Kia Customer Care with only MapnSoft replying that it is not their problem. Apparently the interface is a Kia design. What is your opinion of the new software?

Seagull likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DamnIHateThat

DamnIHateThat Member

I haven't updated mine from the original. Is new map data the only reason to do this update? If so, I never will update since I use my phone for navigation.

4. scoutboy

scoutboy New Member

As far as I know, You cannot update your map data without getting the new interface. If you have the version of software with the 3 widget capability for your homescreen, I would not update.

5. It would be a bit clearer if you stated the screen can be divided into 3 parts, instead of calling them widgets... could not figure out what you were talking about...

I upgraded to purple last year, checking now to see if there is a new release, there was not one in March.

Greg

6. blue_door

blue_door Member

I have not updated to the latest version. Anyone able to provide a picture of what the new homescreen looks like? I like the 3 widgets as well. I use the Media, HVAC and Energy Usage widgets in that order.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. scoutboy

scoutboy New Member

Kia called them widgets, so I call them widgets. However you know what I mean the 3 separate windows you had on the home screen. April 2021 is the latest update and it is still the same purple mashup that was release last Nov 2020. To see my battery information such as percentage and GOM range is to move from the current home screen to map or radio or media, etc. and left swipe the right edge to open a widget screen that you then can down/up scroll to get other info such as Battery status. Very annoying, when I used to have it on my home screen when the car starts up. 20210602_223344.jpg
    This is the new homescreen. There are active screen areas that you can tap and jump to those apps. Map is in the right hand side of screen. Temp will load weather, media/radio will load Media or Radio and your profile name will load the profile screen.
    20210602_223410.jpg
    This is the new radio interface (retro) with a side widget slide out to show my battery status.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  9. StuartE

StuartE New Member

I'm not a fan of the new interface either - I wrote a letter too. I'm glad you wrote a letter to express your opinion. I'd love to see Kia respond favo rably to the feedback and give us our 3 panels back.

10. Those screens were new November last year for the Premium with the big screen, I think you can get that with this May release on the smaller screen.

I do not like the color, nor the useless home screen and the nixie tubes don't really match any of the rest of the user interface. Perhaps the design team was high?

Greg

TheHellYouSay likes this.
  11. blue_door

blue_door Member

Ugggg... That's just terrible. Yeah, gonna pass on that until they get their head out of their ***.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I have a 2019 and am just now preparing to update the maps for the first time. Right now my default screen looks like this: [​IMG]

It does not matter much to me with every other screen just physical button tap away, but, before I take the plunge, I am curious what the update will look like on my 8" screen. Can anyone share a pic?

Attached Files:

14. So, I get to ask some dumb questions, so you have a 2019, and I believe there were 2 systems, the smaller screen and the larger screen... the smaller screen did not have navigation I believe. Can you confirm and which do you have?

The online system where you can download the firmware seems to be only for the system with the NAV, I have heard that the non-nav systems don't have an update.

Greg

15. I have the larger screen. I successfully installed the update. It really does not look all that different except some icons turned purple and some new features showed up in some of the sub menus. I will share an image of the screen later. Today if I remember, or maybe this weekend. Work is a cluster right now.

16. Yeah, the change to purple is pretty well documented, I'm updating my site to have a separate page just for updates, to show the version information and any relevant screens changed between versions.

Right most stuff is on this page:
    https://elmassian.com/index.php/electronics-aamp-gadgets/vehicles/kia-niro-ev

but I am making a separate page for the VESS disable, and like I said one for the firmware update tracking.

Greg

17. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Is there a reason one must update?
    Screen is quirky and not very intuitive, but I am getting used to it

18. There are release notes to be found, and some feature enhancements and some "bug fixes", but I would suspect nothing hugely different.

I like the multiple bluetooth profiles/priorities.

I like the additional volume control where the navigation interacts with the music.

Greg

19. I wasn't very happy with the "upgrade too". Bluetooth connectivity has improved though.

20. my 2019 update looks different than the startup screen screenshot I have seen for the upgrade in the 2020 models.

The coolest new feature for me is a list of nature sounds I can play in my car. Amazing how those destress me at the end of the work day compared to talking on the phone or listening to news.

21. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I dunno, listened to some 'Big Catholic Guilt' on the way home and that destressed me...............

22. Niro-EV

Niro-EV New Member

Would someone please post a screenshot of the updated screens for the 2019 Niro? Any problems after updating?
    Thanks!

23. No problems after update. A couple of nice new features (nature sounds and real time subsystem power consumption are my faves)

Here are some screens

IMG_2358.jpg IMG_2359.JPG IMG_2360.JPG IMG_2361.JPG
    IMG_2362.JPG IMG_2363.JPG
    IMG_2364.JPG