Apple Car Play disconnects and reconnects and warranty

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by David Dutton, Jan 16, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi just trying to get a feel for how other Kia dealers deal with warranty. 2020 Kia E Niro.

My apple car play disconnects and connects. Problem because if I’m using it for navigation and I’m in traffic I can lose my route. If I’m updating the software and it disconnects this could cause the unit to be bricked. I have:

1) cleaned the port on my iphone.

2) Tried 3 different cables, the last one a brand new apple cable.

3) Tried 3 different iphones.

4) Had phone forget connection then reconnected.

5) All of the above have not worked.

6) All of the above combinations work flawlessly on out 2019 Hyundai Kona.

Made an appointment with my dealer and was told that I would be charged $169.00 an our to check into the problem. If it was warranty I wouldn’t be charged. I mentioned that behind the dash the USB splits into 2 cables power and data and sometimes the connection oxidizes, needs to be cleaned. Dealers position the if it is corrosion of the connection it wouldn’t be covered under warranty. Not sure how I would have prevented corrosion of a connection behind the dash. This seems to me is a faulty connection and should be covered under warranty.

She then said I’m due for my brakes fluid to be flushed., 59,000 km and only 2 1/2 years old and the brake fluid needs to be flushed?

They flushed the coolant earlier and charged me, this came up later as warranty. When I asked about it they said they couldn’t honour warranty after the fact.

It seems that any time I ask about a warranty item they are looking for ways to deny it.

Anyone else have a similar problem with car play and how has your dealership delt with it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Dealership said they could not reproduce problem, said they could dele deeper but $$$$. The 2020 E niro dash behing the USB is not easy access, no clips or screws. Anyone pulled dash to access behing USB connection?

4. Perhaps also try:

reddit.com/r/KiaNiroEV/

kianiroforum.com/forums/features-and-equipment.242/

if you haven't already, as they are typically more busy forums.

Regarding brake fluid I would suggest changing it, partly because of your location and also because the hardware is quite expensive and you'd want to comply with warranty requirements.

5. Does anyone know how to get in behind the USB plug. I've looked and there are no obvious clips or bolts. The dealership wants 500 to 600 to get in behind the dash unplug and replug the USB connections behind the dash.