Anything wrong with regular short charging if staying between 50% and 90%?

Discussion in 'General' started by ekutter, Oct 8, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ekutter

ekutter Member

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find this specific question anywhere.

I have access to a 32 amp L2 charger at our club house that is rarely used (and I pay ample dues to justify it's use). We often spend an hour or two there. With our Bolt, I've tried to generally let the car fall below 50% before charging and then charge it up to 90%. Obviously the hour or two won't fully charge it.

Is there any down side to plugging in every time I'm there? Are there problems with doing frequent short charges, if those are all going to be in the 50% to 90% total charge range?

This is effectively what I do with my PHEV Volvo XC60, plugging it in every night, but you almost have to do this with such a short battery range.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

It's generally recommended that you not regularly charge a BEV (and the Bolt EV is a BEV) above 80% unless you really need the range, but there's nothing wrong with charging every day. Many people put their EV on the charger every time they return home, to make sure it's always charged when they need it. Getting into the habit of plugging the car in every time you park it at home helps eliminate the possibility that you'll forget and find the car with an insufficient charge when you need it.

If you have sufficient flexibility in choosing when to charge, then operating the car in the range of 40%-80% would be better than 50%-90%, to maximize battery life.

electriceddy likes this.