Anyone using trunk rack for mountain bike?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by moka, Aug 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moka

moka New Member

Bought a Saris Bones 2-Bike rack when it was finally available. Then found out the trunk on the Clarity may be too weak to hold bikes. It looks likes some people have used trunk rack for road bikes. Anyone using trunk rack for heavier mountain bikes?

Total weight: 36.5 lb (9 lb rack + 27.5 lb mtb)

Too bad I can't justify the hitch cost, yet...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Had a trunk mounted rack on a Dodge Charger. Amazing no matter how careful I was, it scratched the crap out of the clear coat.

Switched to hitch mounted racks, never looked back.

moka likes this.
  4. 428F3257-CE66-4207-93A8-DD78A93634AC.jpeg Splurge on the hitch. These are about 15lbs each.

Dan McInerney and moka like this.
  5. SkyChief07

SkyChief07 New Member

I recently saw someone in another forum talking about the Sea Sucker bike racks. They're expensive but they look really compact and easy, and fit right on the roof instead of on the back. No issue with trunk access: https://www.seasucker.com/collections/racks

Kerbe likes this.
  6. Bend

Bend New Member

Which hitch is that? I’m trying to find one and see other threads mention the Torklift Ecohitch.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It’s the Torklift with the 2” receiver. We already had the bike rack and all the other vehicles have a 2” receiver, so it made sense.

Somewhere on this forum I posted a few pictures of the install along with a list of needed tools, rudimentary instructions and a slight modification that was necessary for a proper fit.

9. Based on a Harbor Freight carrier and an EcoHitch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LAF

LAF Active Member

Just used a Thule bike rack on trunk for a 2 hr trip- worked fine- who said trunk is too weak??

11. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

That would be me! I use a Seasucker Talon to transport my recumbent on the roof. Works like a charm, and less expensive than purchasing a roof rack system!

SkyChief07 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.