Anyone tried a hood deflector?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by DamnIHateThat, Dec 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DamnIHateThat

DamnIHateThat Member

Have you tried the Kia hood deflector G5F24 AU100? Does it fit and does it detract from range much? What other hood protection are you using?
    upload_2020-12-12_19-24-45.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I have a sibling with a Hyundai CUV that has the hood deflector. If you must park outdoors and there are trees around the falling leaves will accumulate under the
    deflector and rot there. It's a 2012 and they may have changed the design since then but I wouldn't want one.

4. Hmm... never washed the car? :D

5. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Oh yes. The problem is that deflector is tight against the hood along the bottom but has a gap along the top. Rain washes the leaves in. You have to use a pressure washer to get them out. You can't blow them straight down as they won't come out. You have to keep going back and forth side to side until they're out. It's also a great collector for salty muck in the winter. This is why I wonder if they've changed the design to allow debris out the bottom.

Greg Elmassian likes this.
  6. Yes, most modern designs have slots at the very bottom front to keep airflow there and debris from accumulating.

I should have looked at the specific deflector, although hard to even find a close up picture.

So, maybe a bit of searching would yield a modern design. If you can't find one with the air slots at the bottom, don't get it, I agree without that it collects garbage.

ahh... did a bit of searching, the design shown of the "official" deflector looks like a bad design, I would not recommend it. Looks like they don't have snow or leaves in Korea ha ha!

The right design would have to come forwards a lot to have air slots underneath... maybe too big and costly.

Is the goal to try not to get pitting on the leading edge of the hood?

Greg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DamnIHateThat

DamnIHateThat Member

Yeah, trying to avoid rock chip damage on the leading edge, and maybe direct the rocks up into the windshield o_O

9. From I understand, but you really need protection lower down, where the front of the car is closer to vertical.

I'd look into getting a clear vinyl wrap, looks better, and can be removed and replaced.

Greg