Anyone price new bumpers?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by TittaPDX, Mar 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TittaPDX

TittaPDX Member

2021 with just over 4K miles…was rear ended by another driver pulling out of parking space. No video so they assigned blame to both of us. Insurance virtual estimator pegged it at ~$730 total cost. MINI-recommended body shop doing the estimate Wednesday. Hopefully no hidden damage as was low-speed but what a terrible sound (maybe that was me ).

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

$730 is probably too low. The unpainted trim panel is already $475 and the rear left wheel arch is $115. Now you have to add in the painting and labor to remove and replace the trim components. Just be happy you didn't get hit in the metal quarter panel areas or that would be easily from a $8,000 repair to a $15,000 replace.

Trista L Awtrey likes this.
  4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Really 15000$ is half a car value ?

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Take for example a $15,696.37 rear bumper + liftgate replacement for a Tesla Model X 90D. That's less than half the car value!

6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If I have to replace a bumper on SE for $15000 I take a money from insurance and install wooden bumper bc I’m really good carpenter

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Are they replacing or fixing the bumper skin? If it was my car, and they can't get a prepainted skin from the factory, I would rather they fix the bumper and blend/spray only a portion of the bumper. I've seen too many bumpers with mismatched and/or flaking paint.

I also wouldn't want to lose the vin sticker on the skin.

9. iDealShopper

iDealShopper New Member

If you have full coverage (which you should with new cars, here in CA, full coverage is mandatory for the 1st yr.) Then all you would do is pay the deductible (mine is $250).

Or if you have time on your hands, remove the bumper (since it's plastic), pop out the dent and do a correction polish then a touch up paint, replace fasteners if broken, should cost you no more than $50-$75. Good luck.

10. TittaPDX

TittaPDX Member

I’m using the dealer-recommended shop so will hopefully do it properly. Will know more after tomorrow’s appt.

11. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

The cars you see with peeling bumpers were done properly. At least that's what the owner thought a few years ago when they picked the car up from the shop.

Dealers sometimes recommend the shop that kicks back a piece of the action. Most people will be out of the car in three or four years, so the shop isn't worried.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

That looks like an easy repair where you only need to replace the bumper cover. The bumper cover costs $484 MSRP or $365 from a dealer online.
    https://parts.seattlemini.com/a/MINI_2021_Electric/62911151__9263212/Trim-cover--rear/51_Z537.html#01

It looks like all of the other parts on your current bumper will carry over to the new one. $730 is a little low though. I would guess $200 to paint the new bumper and $200 in labor. A repair place will charge you MSRP for the bumper. I would guess closer to $900.

A cheaper way out is getting a used bumper. That link I provided shows that this bumper is the same for 2014 - 2021 3 door (F56) and 2015-2021 convertible (F57). You just need to get one with the parking sensors on it like yours has.

14. The metal behind the bumper panel broke through the panel...wish it was just a dent fix. I'll be sure to ask how they paint the primed pieces - I don't see a ton of the enigmatic black minis around here. My deductible is $500.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You've identified a benefit coming from MINI basing the SE on an existing body--a benefit most don't consider when whining about the SE sitting on an "old platform." Even the fake hood scoop is the same as on the ICE models, should it be damaged by a meteorite or something.