Anyone keeping track of the battery's soh

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Luis Abreu, Jul 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello guys.

Just curious if anyone here is keeping track of the battery's soh along the years.

If so, how's your batteries holding and how many kms/miles have you done?

I've used car scanner to get some info. After 2 years and +35000 km, it says that soh is on 96%. I'm not sure if there's a better app for getting this info or if the info returned by car scanner is accurate. I have been using ac and dc for charging and I tend to charge every other day. Anyways, I haven't noticed any less kms/miles for my typical charging sessions.

How about you guys? Any data to share?

Thanks guys.

polyphonic and CsD like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm just about to reach 40,000 miles (39,740 mi to be exact, or just under 64,000 km) on my 2021 SE, which I've had for one month shy of two years. My daily commute is 80+ miles, so I've pretty much been charging every day from 40% SoC to 100% SoC. All I've been tracking is my trip range, but there's no sign of any battery degradation.

Here's the data from the day's drive from my most recent commute:

Jul 8, 2022 at 18:13 ** 78.8°F ** Wind: 6.835 mph from E ** Humidity: 61% ** Driven: 87.7 Mi ** Start-Batt: 100% ** End-Batt: 43% ** Mi / kWh: 5.32 ** GOM Reading: 45 Mi ** Range Left: 66.11 Mi ** Total Range (From 100% charge): 153.81 Mi ** Total Range (From 100% charge): 153.748 Mi

idesignstuff, GvilleGuy and CsD like this.
  4. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello.

That's my experience too: despite carscanner saying that soh is 96%, I haven't also noticed any noticeable range changes...

CsD likes this.
  5. Darrell Hayes

Darrell Hayes Member

Electrified app on '23 with 50 miles. 100% soh and 97.2 Ah capacity

Attached Files:

insightman likes this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does the 68.9% number mean the SE's battery management software maintains a 31.1% top-end buffer?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Darrell Hayes

Darrell Hayes Member

No, I think it was just at 68.9% soc. Not sure why soc was listed at 68.6%

9. Darrell Hayes

Darrell Hayes Member

This is what I have seen so far. Seems to be dropping rather more quickly than I would have hoped. Anyone else tracking SOH?
    date mi capacity(Ah ) SoH
    6/27/2022 50 97.2 100
    7/31/2022 445 96.4 99
    8/27/2022 1010 95.8 98

10. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Only three data points, but that aside, don't EV batteries show a small, more rapid drop at first, then a long gradual decay before a final nosedive? At least that's how I recall some long-term Tesla battery curves (not the same exact chemistry, of course).

GetOffYourGas, polyphonic and carrrl like this.
  11. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

This is generally true of Lithium batteries, yes. The specifics of that curve (eg when that final nosedive might occur) are what vary between chemistries.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In 2000, I thought my gen-1 Honda Insight was so cool with its Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries (120 D-cells), consigning lead-acid batteries to the realm of ancient technology (ignoring the fact there was a 12-Volt lead-acid battery under the hood).

I'm waiting to read about the first mass-production, solid-state lithium battery and learn how long such a battery can retain close to its original capacity. Which will come first, practical fusion or affordable solid-state lithium batteries?

GetOffYourGas and idesignstuff like this.
  14. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Practical fusion may be closer than you think. Or it could be never. But we are making strides in Plasma science which could be the key to unlocking grid-scale fusion. But Mr Fusion is definitely a long way off either way! And I bet we’d still have a lead battery in the car for some reason ;)

We are due for a breakthrough in battery tech. It seems that solid state is constantly promised as “just around the corner”. But I will believe it when I see it. I hope it is soon, but in the meantime Lithium Ion is pretty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Texas22Step and insightman like this.
  15. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Ok...

After 41 000 km, soh is around 95% (according to bms). I must admit that I expected less degradation, but I guess that is what happens when the battery ia small and you live in an island with lots of steep hills...

16. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

AFAIK quick degradation like that is normal and expected. It’s part of how the battery protects itself. After that steep loss batteries tend to hold steady. Battery University has a lot of great info for anyone looking to dive deep into the topic.

17. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hi.

Would you mind sharing a link for it?

Thanks.

18. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    And objectively, 41 000 km is more than 200 cycles and two full years, so a drop of 5% isn’t that unreasonable on a battery pack that is warrantied to stay above 80% SOH for eight years or 160 000 km. But I’d be surprised if it drops more than another 5% over the next six years, unless it’s being abused. I don’t think altitude change has much affect on battery degradation.

19. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I am using electrified too.
    I didn't record initial readings.
    Last weekend I was down to 95.3Ah. A couple of 6+ hour float charges has me back up to 96.1 yesterday. I'm at 2672 miles
    I read on a forum somewhere that i3s need to spend at least 5 hours at 100% with the charger hooked up to balance cells. I've been attempting to keep my charge between 30 and 85%. I was doing a weekly 100% charge for cell balancing. Will now be doing a weekly 6hr 100% float charge
    When I saw the SOH at 97% after about 2500 miles, I was a little concerned. It's now 98%. Not as bad as Darrel's numbers...

I'll be keeping a close eye on it now.

20. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Is the pack actually warranted to hold 80%?
    I have only seen 'defects' etc covered.

21. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello.

Well, it's not the altitude per si, but the driving. Going through steep hills means more power sustained during more time, which generates more heat which might lead to more battery degradation...

Anyway, let's see how it does on the next month's...

22. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Interesting... I'll try to measure it again when it reaches 100%

23. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

I've read it and it's not worded exactly like that.

If you ask, they will tell that the battery will be replaced if a certain threshold is reached... However, the docs say that if drops below x, then they will replace it in order to ensure that it's above x again (and not back to 100% as the seller might lead you to believe)