Anyone ever get a “Drivetrain” error message?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by wessy, Jan 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. wessy

wessy Active Member

The day I picked up my car about four weeks ago a “Drivetrain” error message appeared on my center screen at least once.* But it also said I could drive the car without needing to take any special precautions (wish I’d taken a photo of it for a record of exactly what it said), and the car never shut down or drove oddly or anything like that, and that error message has never reappeared since then.

(*Not sure, but I think it might have displayed more than once and that I might have summarily dismissed it — along with that annoying message asking you to agree to not hold BMW liable if you’re distracted by info on that screen or whatever by clicking on “OK” — the first few times I turned the car on that first day before I realized it might be something out of the ordinary and a potential problem with the car.)

I reported it to my MINI dealer the next day and they scheduled an appt. for over a month later (next week — first available opening I could get a loaner :rolleyes:) to scan my car’s system just to be on the safe side. (One of the things they said they’ll look for is to see if the car was taken out of “Transport Mode” after the dealer received it from the shipper; I don’t know if that’s something the dealer usually does or if perhaps BMW’s Vehicle Distribution Center at the port typically takes care of it.) I don’t expect anything to come of it, and because it appears to have been an isolated incident it’s never caused me to worry about my car, but I’ll let y’all know what they say.

I did a search before starting this thread because I assumed this issue had probably come up before, but my search came up empty. So I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask if any of you have had a “Drivetrain” error message display for you. :confused:

GvilleGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Hi, responding to this thread even though my issue was a bit different (i.e. worse). Driving my 1 month old SE on Saturday the car suddenly vibrated and then power cut off completely and it stated a 'drive train error'. I had to coast to the side of the road in 'neutral' and then the car put itself in Park and would not shift back into drive. The car is about a month old, with about 1000miles on it, no other issues encountered. The temperature at the time was ~55F, was on a short trip of ~5miles at moderate speeds (<50mph) but with some spirited acceleration. Actual issue happened while cruising along straight and level at 45mph.

I called the BMW roadside assistance via the car and after quite a bit of back and forth they told me to switch off the ignition for 2 minutes, then back on again, which seemed to completely fix the issue (error message gone, car operational again), so I carefully drove the car home without issue. The following day I drove the car around for about 10 miles doing everything I could to it (hard accelerations etc) and no issues or codes encountered, seems to be 100% back to normal...

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Its pretty scary that the car full on just cut out dead on me. I assume it got some erroneous sensor data it didn't like but who is to say that won't happen again or whether there is something on the way out.

I haven't taken it into BMW yet for a checkup but do plan to.

4. wessy

wessy Active Member

Sorry to hear this happened to you, @ChrisW, but glad it was quickly resolved! Although I’m sure the uncertainty about it possibly happening again, out of the blue, is unnerving.

Seeing your post today reminded me that I never reported back after my first service visit to the MINI dealer to have them check mine out after it displayed a “Drivetrain” error my first day of ownership: They ran their diagnostics and found absolutely nothing.

Maybe just a relatively rare glitch that could happen to any of us? Hope it’s a one-off that never recurs for you, Chris, but please do let us know what, if anything, your dealer discovers.

5. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Thanks @wessy I have been driving the car daily since and still behaving as if nothing happened so lets hope it was just a glitch as you say.

Today I read the stored fault codes using BimmerLink (first time using this app but worked really well with the Veepeak bluetooth OBD dongle I had) and the car had a ton of stored errors (none active though), actually quite scary...

Of most interest were 7 stored errors in the 'Electrical machine electronics' category, see below. All were pegged at 1502km which I think is right on for when this incident happened.

Anyone else use the BimmerLink app to look at stored errors?
    upload_2022-5-3_11-5-44.png

6. wessy

wessy Active Member

^ Interesting! And perplexing…what to make of all that chatter?

Several SE owners on here do tap into their cars’ electronic brains with BimmerLink. Hopefully one or more of them will check in to let you know if they’ve ever seen any similar codes and/or if they have any insight (even guesses!) to offer about any of the ones your car indicated.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

6804B466-EDC0-4094-AEB6-C0D4974DAC62.jpeg

9. wessy

wessy Active Member

Ouch! Sorry to see this happened to you, too, @Rexsio. (But since it did happen, I’m glad you managed to get a photo of the error message — yup, I’m pretty sure that’s the same message mine displayed as well…)

Did your car continue to drive normally after the message displayed? That’s what happened with mine — got that error message, but the car drove just fine.

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Car was driving fine but I have a message up to 400 miles all the time and I was not able charge a car with maximum setting charge was going to reduced . I went for service and dealer concluded my car is perfectly good but that was continue for a while.I complain to headquarters of BMW in here NJ and mail to UK and Germany . Miraculously after a while everything start working correctly and I don’t have issues since and who knows what they did to a car to fix my problems .I drove I 3 for 6 years no problems .I’m happy someone fix a crab gaining axes to a car! That is only mine answer.

11. wessy

wessy Active Member

The “Drivetrain” error remains a mystery! :confused:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Chiming in. 24 miles and I have the same error. FFBDDDCF-B885-464B-818C-C667C74AC9C2.jpeg

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for showing the error message. I hope your dealer can tell you what MINI says about the cause.

moncureww likes this.
  15. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

The error message was not on my car when I went to drive it to the dealer this AM. I’ve still taken it to the dealer and I’m here right now waiting for them to open up. I did notice sort of an unpredictable shimmy that’s very subtle at highway speeds starting ar about 45 miles an hour. Very intermittent and hard to predict because it’s not like a wheel or something that is continuous coming from the powertrain. Seems to happen in all modes And whether I’m using regenerative braking or not. It also seems to happen probably every couple minutes but not at any regular interval that I can tell and not associated with anything in the road.

16. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

OK so I’m a total newbie And my dealer made a small mistake and didn’t charge to the right amount before delivering the vehicle. The rumble is the lane assist and he didn’t charge it to about 90% during the PDI which can cause errors. Everything is good.

insightman likes this.
  17. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Don’t worry, your not the first person who was tripped up by the lane assist rumble. There have been a few posts here with that same concern. If it bothers you too much, you can turn it off.

I was at MINI of Alexandria today and they had at least half a dozen SE’s on the lot. I had to stop by to finally pickup my plates. Also had to pay a little extra for registration as they didn’t charge for the more expensive EV registration in VA.

SameGuy and moncureww like this.
  18. wessy

wessy Active Member

I’m glad to hear it’s sorted now, @moncureww, thanks for looping us in!

The comment your dealer apparently made to you about how errors can occur if, during the pre-delivery inspection, they fail to charge the battery to 90% — your mention of this is the first I’ve heard of it. If that’s true, that would explain why my car displayed the “Drivetrain” error, because my dealer couldn’t have been bothered with, you know, actually charging my new SE’s battery with enough power to get me home before I arrived for my scheduled delivery. :rolleyes:

(After showing me my new car and signing the paperwork, I had to hang out for a few hours while I waited on their slow AF charger [and yes, first I set my car to max charging capability] — which was the BMW dealer’s only charger — to get me to over 50% so that the day I took off of work to enjoy a long, leisurely introductory drive on a full charge [but no longer having time to scout out and stop at key locations citywide to take pictures of my beautiful new first-ever EV on that perfectly sunny day, as I’d planned] wouldn’t be a complete loss.)

But at least six months later I’m not still bitter about it or anything. ;)

moncureww and SameGuy like this.
  19. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I wish someone with an OBD2 code reader could pull any codes that might be present when the drivetrain error appears.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

moncureww and wessy like this.
  20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

After seeing a dealer service they where saying is nothing wrong with a car at400 miles but bc I drove I 3 for 6 years I must have more knowledge than a dealer that’s why I complain about a problems .The error with engine was there.Car drive and act correctly anyway but you don’t need a crab showing an errors.I was piss of I send an Emails to Germany New Jersey Headquarters and to UK and miraculously week later my car act correctly no issues since . I have only 1600 miles but car is perfect with charging L2 and no errors at all.

21. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

143155FF-B302-47C4-BAB9-1D5E13441F9E.jpeg 0EF93C04-6029-4CB4-BF96-6C58276A8287.jpeg

22. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Any garbage is showing on an dashboard I snap a picture for a proof what is wrong but since I pas 400 miles I have no issues with my ERG I love a car .My friend and companion my doggy Rex .RIP . 1E927F39-A415-40A7-9196-C3BA55A4FF29.jpeg

wessy and moncureww like this.
  23. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Charging or no charging is not doing any errors you see later when you drive with 5 miles remaining range