Anybody else hearing a "howling" sound (cold motor, -15C)?

Discussion in 'Hyundai/Kia' started by Etienne Savard, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

Anybody is hearing a kind of dog howling sound coming from the motor? Last thursday and friday were pretty cold in Quebec, Canada (-15C to -20C) and I heard for the first time that strange noise coming from the DC motor it seems, particularly when I was accelerating. After a couple of minutes, the sounds is gone. Seems like the motor was warm enough.

Here is a video I made with the sound in particular:

2. Ricardowelch

Ricardowelch New Member

It is possible gear worn or bad bearing. Just take a look at this or take it to dealer to check.

3. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

Other people with Kona had the same problem (same area, so same temperature changes)... Some Niro has it also... Bad bearing sound don't go away and have a tendency to be louder when you are cornering to put more load on the faulty bearing. Bad bearings sound don't disapear if you stop accelerating. I just had one replaced on an old Corolla 2009, so I'm pretty aware of the symptoms of a bad bearing. ;)

Some people were suggesting reductor oil being more viscous when cold... I really don't know. I will see the dealer next week, I will mention it.