Anybody else hearing a "howling" sound (cold motor, -15C)?

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by Etienne Savard, Dec 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

Anybody is hearing a kind of dog howling sound coming from the motor? Last thursday and friday were pretty cold in Quebec, Canada (-15C to -20C) and I heard for the first time that strange noise coming from the DC motor it seems, particularly when I was accelerating. After a couple of minutes, the sounds is gone. Seems like the motor was warm enough.

Here is a video I made with the sound in particular:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ricardowelch

Ricardowelch New Member

It is possible gear worn or bad bearing. Just take a look at this or take it to dealer to check.

4. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

Other people with Kona had the same problem (same area, so same temperature changes)... Some Niro has it also... Bad bearing sound don't go away and have a tendency to be louder when you are cornering to put more load on the faulty bearing. Bad bearings sound don't disapear if you stop accelerating. I just had one replaced on an old Corolla 2009, so I'm pretty aware of the symptoms of a bad bearing. ;)

Some people were suggesting reductor oil being more viscous when cold... I really don't know. I will see the dealer next week, I will mention it.

5. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

My 2018 Leaf motor makes a very faint whine which rises in pitch as you first start off. The coldest morning we've had this winter in Kingston Ontario was minus 20C and the whine was distinctly louder. Things back to normal with milder temps now.

6. I would theorise from my own industrial experience that it's the result of light cavitation as the gears separate.
    The Kona's gearbox oil is specified as 70W GL4, a common manual transmission grade which is slightly thicker than ATF. It's not specified if Hyundai use a full synthetic, but if not using that type could help. I think Redline has the correct grade if you're brave enough to try it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hello.i just posted a threat about the very same symptom.i have 2020 kia niro ev and it makes the same sound when it is below -15 celsius.and the sound disappears when car gets warmer after half an hour or so...
    could you reply me on my email if you ever found out what was wrong with your car:[email protected]
    BYE.Heikki from Finland

9. As I said above, it's cativation. It's not certain that it's harmful, I would doubt it. But I would suggest that an ultra-low viscosity ATF could be idea for this "issue", e.g. Valvoline ULV ATF. The Kona/Niro/Ioniq gear reducer barely runs at 15°C over ambient at best, so needs a thin oil. Of course you should change it back for summer.

The stock oil is around 5.5 Cst at 100°C. At 40° I'd estimate it's similar to the Redline MT-LV at 30.6

Valvoline ULV ATF is 4.5 at 100 and 19.4 at 40°C. That will certainly reduce or eliminate the noise.

electriceddy likes this.