Another reason non-Tesla owners may hate SuperChargers

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Mar 4, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Tom attempts to use three different adapters with a Rivian and Bolt to see if they can get a SuperCharger session:

I suspect Tesla requires the VIN to validate and handle billing. So as of this moment, only Tesla and Ford can use the SuperCharger network. But I have a 2017 BMW i3-REx.

A discontinued model and the BMW to NACS (i.e., SuperCharger) not yet implemented, it remains to be seen if my 2017 BMW i3-REx will ever be able to get a SuperCharger session. BMW could omit their legacy model VINs. Worse, the 2017 FastDC charging protocol may be flawed and BMW has lost the ability to fix it.

No problem for me as long as the Range Extender continues to function. As for charging CCS-1, well Electrify America has set a mark for quality charging and billing. Combine higher cost and the builtin limit of 50 kW, I feel no compulsion to use CCS-1, Fast DC charging.

[SNARK]After all, it reveals a fatal design flaw of SuperChargers for not having laundromat bill and coin payment mechanisms so nobody can tell who used it. That comes on top of having too short, too light weight, not stiff enough charging plugs cables and whose 'presence' latch can be easily broken off rendering it safer.[/SNARK]

If the local SuperChargers get upgraded to 'magic dock,' I'll test with my 2017 BMW i3-REx. But the nearest ones I know of are Vicksburg and the other side of Birmingham AL. I am not that curious.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. inferno10

inferno10 Member

I’ve had the chance to test my Mini SE (EV cousin to the i3) on a Magic Dock and can confirm it works. Based on that experience, I’m confident that our BMWs and Minis will be able to at least charge at v3/v4 Superchargers with a CCS adapter by selecting a charger via the Tesla app (same way that’s done for Magic Docks). What I’m doubtful about is whether our cars will receive a software update that enables Plug & Charge functionality at a Supercharger or at EA.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member