Another Model X road trip

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jul 14, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-x-suv-supercharger-network-review-2018-7#as-enjoyable-as-teslas-cars-may-be-the-star-of-our-road-trip-is-undoubtedly-the-supercharger-network-29

. . .
    Over the past year, we've had the chance to experience electric cars from Tesla's mainstream rivals — Chevrolet and Nissan. While the two have put out very impressive vehicles in the Bolt and the Leaf, neither manufacturer boasts the type of fast-charging network available to Tesla owners.

Even though new-generation electric vehicles deliver enough range to alleviate range anxiety around town, long road trips are still virtually impossible. With the Supercharger network in place, Tesla is able not only to further placate those with fears of running out of juice in everyday driving but also to make multistate road trips a reasonable reality for EV drivers.
    . . .​

There was no mention of overheating. They must have been following the posted speed limits.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

There is a perception, there is a reality. I have range anxiety, my wife does not. The fact there is a supercharging network even if I never use, it gives me a comfort feeling. One aspect of product branding is addressing customers fears and anxieties, Tesla has done it well, others have not. In this forum, we can discuss till the cows come home if it is relevant and accurate, or if it is just gimmickry. In the minds of the John Q. Public, the decision has been made.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

My BMW i3-REx experience says SuperCharger is the way to go. We have one 40kW DC charger which initially puts in 160 miles/hour for ~20 minutes . . . ~53 miles. Then it slows down rapidly due to the exponentially slower, battery charging. Rule of thumb, the next 20 miles takes ~20-30 minutes.

The larger Tesla batteries and their capacity to charge means 40kW is pretty lame. My understanding is the Model 3 can charge at ~110 kW versus ~80 kW with the Tesla which are well within the SuperCharger specs.

Bob Wilson